Need help making Vertical layouts for Attract Mode and rotating games

Questions and tweaks for Attract-Mode on ARpiCADE.

Moderator: dee2eR

8bitforlife
Community Member
Community Member

Need help making Vertical layouts for Attract Mode and rotating games

Post by 8bitforlife » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:56 pm

Iv been working on a vertical arpicade image. Continueing work from mrceasar thread. Added some games and fixed some roms.

But I would like to add more layouts. Like capcom toaplan blaizing and any others i cant think of atm.

Also were do I change advancemame and fba games to be vert/tate.

Also if i can get permission from freddy ill give out the files to the forum when im done with it or at least in a better state than it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl7VDMrt7r4

Also is it normal for some games to load slow? Am I able to unzip and put folders to load faster?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Need help making Vertical layouts for Attract Mode and rotating games

Post by dee2eR » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:53 am

AdvMAME and FBA should rotate automatically the same as everything else. What have you done to rotate?

Game loading is usually dependant on the size of the rom zipfile. Some Toaplan stuff have huge zipped sample sets too. I'm not sure if pre-unzipping would help the speed, the theory is a good one although I don't know if the emulators are set up to work that way. I don't think I've ever tried to run a MAME game from an unzipped romset.

8bitforlife
Community Member
Community Member

Post by 8bitforlife » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:54 am

dee2eR wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:53 am
AdvMAME and FBA should rotate automatically the same as everything else. What have you done to rotate?

Game loading is usually dependant on the size of the rom zipfile. Some Toaplan stuff have huge zipped sample sets too. I'm not sure if pre-unzipping would help the speed, the theory is a good one although I don't know if the emulators are set up to work that way. I don't think I've ever tried to run a MAME game from an unzipped romset.
I havent done anything my layouts are correct but my vertical games play horizontal

8bitforlife
Community Member
Community Member

Post by 8bitforlife » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:53 pm

not sure whats going on now when i try to get into retroarch menu i get a keyboard now for advmame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfQ1CaIr0w8

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:19 pm

First thing I'd do is adjust your 5v, that will cause issues in itself. Should be around 5.12v

8bitforlife
Community Member
Community Member

Post by 8bitforlife » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:15 pm

It is. My flat screen is dieing.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:32 am

As mentioned already the lightning bolt onscreen indicates your 5v is low. Measure with a meter at the JAMMA edge if you can to account for voltage drop on the PCB and in the wiring.

Now for the vertical setup: If you don't have a cabside 'service' button you will need to plug in a keyboard before booting. Once the menu has loaded press 'service' (or 'f4' on a keyboard) to access the service menu. At the service menu select the vertical low res (or 240p only vertical) option and the system will sort out (most of) the rotation stuff for you, when it's all rebooted and you're back a the game selection menu you may want to change theme to match, that part isn't automated.

Not sure what emulator showed the virtual keyboard (AdvMAME?), whatever the case I think it's not one of the Retroarch emulators - hence the different function of 'F1'.

8bitforlife
Community Member
Community Member

Post by 8bitforlife » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:56 am

dee2eR wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:32 am
As mentioned already the lightning bolt onscreen indicates your 5v is low. Measure with a meter at the JAMMA edge if you can to account for voltage drop on the PCB and in the wiring.

Now for the vertical setup: If you don't have a cabside 'service' button you will need to plug in a keyboard before booting. Once the menu has loaded press 'service' (or 'f4' on a keyboard) to access the service menu. At the service menu select the vertical low res (or 240p only vertical) option and the system will sort out (most of) the rotation stuff for you, when it's all rebooted and you're back a the game selection menu you may want to change theme to match, that part isn't automated.

Not sure what emulator showed the virtual keyboard (AdvMAME?), whatever the case I think it's not one of the Retroarch emulators - hence the different function of 'F1'.
Ok ill try that when I get home. I have advmame on the Rom lists should I have mame0106?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:15 am

I often use the terms AdvMAME and MAME106 interchangeably. Bad habit I guess, in ARpiCADE terms they're one and the same.

8bitforlife
Community Member
Community Member

Post by 8bitforlife » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:08 am

im using advmame so not sure whats causing it.

the vert option did work though