Service Menu

Questions and tweaks for Attract-Mode on ARpiCADE.

Moderator: dee2eR

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Service Menu

Post by guntherm » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Is there a way to:

1. Make Service menu open in Vertical Mode?

2. Can the Service menu have an option to go back to Attract-mode??? instead of having to reboot.

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Service Menu

Post by guntherm » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Anyone tried this?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:12 pm

have you tried just changing the attract-mode theme in the service menu to a vertical one? I think that should do what you're after.

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by guntherm » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:11 pm

Attract mode theme?

maybe I have stumbled upon it. But lose your images etc?

Also can the service menu be allowed to go back to attract mode? Right now you must always reboot from what I can tell>?

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by guntherm » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:58 am

Bump...

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:59 pm

By Attract-Mode theme I mean Attract-Mode layout. If you pick a vertical layout it should stay vertical for you. Try basic-crt-vert (I think that's it's name.... it's the same theme rotated).

There's some complications launching attract-mode (game selection) from attract-mode (service menu). They're both the same program, I can't launch a second instance and quit the first (from the first).... I could force a logout but that would save a max 1 or 2 seconds compared to rebooting - and a proper reboot has the added benefit of making sure the SD card has finalized any changes made.

You could add a couple of extra lines to you /boot/run.sh to launch another attract-mode after you exit the service menu (and if you like another service menu after that....). Or I suppose you could loop it, not sure it's a great idea but could be do-able.

Whatever you decide to do, try not to have multiple instances of Attract open at once (if that's possible) as you will quickly run out of ram on a Pi.

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by guntherm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:41 am

dee2eR wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:59 pm
By Attract-Mode theme I mean Attract-Mode layout. If you pick a vertical layout it should stay vertical for you. Try basic-crt-vert (I think that's it's name.... it's the same theme rotated).

There's some complications launching attract-mode (game selection) from attract-mode (service menu). They're both the same program, I can't launch a second instance and quit the first (from the first).... I could force a logout but that would save a max 1 or 2 seconds compared to rebooting - and a proper reboot has the added benefit of making sure the SD card has finalized any changes made.

You could add a couple of extra lines to you /boot/run.sh to launch another attract-mode after you exit the service menu (and if you like another service menu after that....). Or I suppose you could loop it, not sure it's a great idea but could be do-able.

Whatever you decide to do, try not to have multiple instances of Attract open at once (if that's possible) as you will quickly run out of ram on a Pi.
Okay I get we can't get attract mode back again once in service screen.

But I hope the screen I am talking about is called service mode. When I hit f4, and go to your (service Mode) screen.. it's only horizontal.. Where is this layout? can it have a vertical mode as well like other themes do?
Second questions is the layouts screen(or what ever you call it.) The screen when your games listing.. main screen. when you hit tab to go to the layout menu/screen?? is that a layout theme itself? can it be changed to alwys be vertical as well. I guess by now you can see my quest. keeping it all vertical so I can see things.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:43 pm

at the service menu hit 'tab' on keyboard (or cabside 'test' should also work) to bring up the Attract-Mode menus where you can change the layout etc.

With a keyboard in you can also just press 'r' or 'e' to temporarily rotate whatever layout you're currently using (this setting will not save though).

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by guntherm » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:34 am

back to this.. but different.

Where is the theme, files for the screen when you hit "tab" Can that be changed, edited how its displayed etc.

Its the screen where you select different consoles, themes, layout etc..

I guess if you hit Tab and goto displays you can select a theme, but does not work at all. So as far as i can tell this is broken in the version of 3.82.

I watched several videos on how to change it and it just doesn't work at all. Unless we have a magic trick? lol

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:56 am

Which list are you trying to change theme for? If it's the service menu it will need to be done from the service menu, not from the first instance of Attract-Mode.

The service menu instance of Attract-Mode is using a completely different config folder to the normal game selection instance. /home/pi/.attract (normal version) and /home/pi/.attractsm (service menu version).

Otherwise, I'm not sure what might be going wrong.