Issues with MAME 139 Setting Controls

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

DRDTbone
Community Member
Community Member

Issues with MAME 139 Setting Controls

Post by DRDTbone » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:03 pm

Hello!
I've worked through the majority of issues but one thing that bugs me is that MAME 139 won't let me set controls in the game. The setup is a Raspberry Jamma with an additional Zero Delay USB setup that the third joystick is hooked up to. It's a Rampage cabinet, so the first two joysticks are hooked up to the JAMMA harness and the third joystick is wired into the Zero Delay which is plugged into one of the Raspberry Pi's USB ports. I have a bluetooth keyboard dongle in another of the Raspberry Pi's USB ports. I'm on Arpicade 3.9.

This works for all of the MAME emulators except for MAME 0.139. When I launch the game, the 'tab' button pulls up the service menu. The up and down arrows work to scroll through options in the service menu, but the 'enter' key *doesn't* select anything. The only way to select items is using the 'x' key (so somehow the 'enter' and the 'x' got swapped?). So I can select menu items, but when I go to map controls, MAME does not register me pressing any of the controls. This issue also comes up in one of the other MAMEs in that the 'enter' key doesn't work, but that one uses 'z' as 'enter', however the joystick/button controls do map for that MAME (but again, no mapping for 139). I haven't messed with hotkeys or any of the .sh files other than hiding a few parent ROMS.

When I had a prior version of Arpicade, this also happened with 078.

Any thoughts? Thank you

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Issues with MAME 139 Setting Controls

Post by dee2eR » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:00 pm

Unffortunately the version of 0.139 in use doesn't use MAMEs menus for controls. You can edit the controls but need to use the RA menus (F1) and it's a bit of a pain.

What are you running in 139? It's not that useful a MAME version in my experience.

DRDTbone
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Issues with MAME 139 Setting Controls

Post by DRDTbone » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:28 am

I'm running Pit Fighter in 139 actually :D it runs in one or two more versions of MAME, but very slowly. 139 runs it at good speed.

Same for Rampage World Tour, but I believe I got this working in another version, I'll have to check my notes.