I just want to play Stunt Car Racer!!! (Amiga)

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

MarkOZLAD
Community Member
Community Member

I just want to play Stunt Car Racer!!! (Amiga)

Post by MarkOZLAD » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:09 am

Looking to install an Amiga emulator on my Arpicade so I can play Stunt Car Racer on my cab.

From what I can see Amiberry is the emulator of choice. Right now I have little idea on how to set this up on Arpicade but I guess I'll be learning...Any tips would be appreciated.

The Amiga really only needs one joystick button per player (although I usually map Cursor Up to a button for ease of driving in Stunt Car Racer). I have the extra six button harness installed so I'm thinking I can use the extra 8 or so buttons I will have spare (across the two players) to Space, Enter, cursor down, ABC keys so I can launch games, enter simple names etc.

For now I will be happy if I can just get a game going, will worry about attract mode videos etc later.

I will try and document everything as I go.

MarkOZLAD
Community Member
Community Member

Re: I just want to play Stunt Car Racer!!! (Amiga)

Post by MarkOZLAD » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:44 pm

I have been able to successfully get Amiga running, albeit from the command line at this stage.

It was really quite easy, On my PC I downloaded the release build of amiberry from:

https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/releases

I extracted it to a folder (I use ubuntu linux so nice and compatible for me) and then copied my kickstart roms into the existing kickstart folder. I also created a folder called floppies in which I put my Stunt Car Racer rom.

I then took my SD card from my RaspberryJAMMA and inserted it into my car reader and copied the entire amiberry folder from my PC to the /boot/Pi folder on the card.

After replacing the SD card into my RaspberryJAMMA and booting it up, I went to the console (Ctrl-C from attract mode test menu is how I get there). I found the current directory was already /boot/Pi so I just had to cd into the amiberry folder

cd amiberry-rpi-v2.25

and the\n I did the chmod a+x commend on the RPI3 version of the amiberry

chmod a+x amiberry-rpi3-sdl2

To run the executable the command is:

./amiberry-rpi3-sdl2

This will bring up the GUI for configuring the Amiga emulator.

For Stunt Car Racer to work I had to make Joystick 0 the GPIO Controller 2. This enables you to do the "Mouse Click" necessary to get past the crack screen at startup. It's a standard A500 (with 1Mb) memory emulation.

After playing around with my joysticks and display settings etc I settled on a preferred config and saved it to a configuration file called Stuntcar. It gets saved by default into the amiberry-rpi-v2.25/conf folder.

In order to run this configuration directly from the command line the command is:

./amiberry-rpi3-sdl2 -f ./conf/Stuntcar.uae

I believe if I save the configuration with "Show GUI on startup" unticked it should go straight into the game.

Now that I have it working, including the command line launching of configs, it should be possible to get it working with Attract Mode.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: I just want to play Stunt Car Racer!!! (Amiga)

Post by dee2eR » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:58 am

Awesome, thanks for posting it up for everyone.

Wish I knew what was going wrong on the current WIP build with Amiberry, still haven't figured it out.