Advance mame not booting any associated roms

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

spazmoid
Community Member
Community Member

Advance mame not booting any associated roms

Post by spazmoid » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:55 am

Hi all,

I think I have a major issue, none of my advance mame roms from within the rom folder mame 106 folder are launching.

When I try to launch say bomb jack, or strider etc, the screen says loading then crashes out to the attract select game screen.

Has something gone wrong with the emulator itself?

It was working fine and then just suddenly stopped.

All other emulators are fine and working.

Can anyone help please as it’s really baffling me?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Advance mame not booting any associated roms

Post by dee2eR » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:27 am

copied from my PM response to you, don't think it's got to you yet for some reason.

Do you have a back up image of your SD card? That's probably the easiest way to fix whatever has happened while not knowing the actual issue.

If you tried to copy too many games onto the SD card and ran out of free space that can cause issues, not sure if you did that.

There are 3 other ways I can think of this happening.
1. problem with the launcher for MAME 106 causing it to not work, see /boot/launchers/advmame.sh
2. problem with the config file(s) for MAME 106 causing it to not work (/home/pi/.advance/advmame.rc && advmame.nosdl.rc)
3. problem with the Attract-Mode config for MAME 106 causing it to not work. (/home/pi/.attract/emulators/advmame.cfg) (if you're seeing the loading message before being returned to the menu this is probably not the issue)

I hope that helps. With a bit of luck you have a working back up image of your SD card. Worst comes and you can't fix it copy all the games off the SD card (if you don't already have them all) and download ARpiCADE 3.84 here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1062 then rebuild from the new version.

mabernathey
Community Member
Community Member

Post by mabernathey » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:30 pm

I'm experiencing the exact same problem... I moved Tempest from MAME 078 to 106 and refreshed the ROMS under the Service Menu... now QBert and Tron (only ones I've tested so far) are not working, it says "Loading" and then pops back to the Arcade menu without actually starting the game?? I've not added any other Roms to the SD Card, nor have I changed the system in any way that should have caused this issue?

I did copy all my ROMS in Windows to a folder? So are you saying I need to copy the 106 folder back to the SD card and overwrite the existing files on the SD Card?

Thanks

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:03 am

It maybe worth copying the roms back onto the card, if it's a rom issue it may fix it.

If this problem developed after you changed the SD card did you overfill the SD card? (it doesn't sound like you did but that can cause issues) Did you safely remove/eject/unmount the SD card prior to pulling it out of your PC? (failure to do that can cause issues)

You may want to make a full backup image of the SD card as well, it will make restoring easier should you need to.

Also, I'm pretty sure you've made changes to the config files for at least one version of MAME (based on your other thread & PM), it is possible depending on how you did that that that is also an issue. How have you been editing files on the second partiton? (eg /home/pi/.advance/advmame.rc )

The good news is there's no need to panic, no matter what has gone wrong we can figure it out and fix it.

Unfortunately the OP of this thread never posted what fixed their issue...