Donkey Kong Remix?

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

jmac
Community Member
Community Member

Donkey Kong Remix?

Post by jmac » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:47 pm

Assuming a person has all of the needed ROMs for running Donkey Kong Remix (Christmas, Spooky, etc.) what steps would need to be taken to add these games to the attract mode lists for simple game launch? On a Windows Mame install i can launch the games via CLI though figured i would run this question past the group here before i started my trials and errors to accomplish this.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Donkey Kong Remix?

Post by dee2eR » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:55 am

I've never heard of these remixes before, wow. I found a copy of DK Christmas Remix and have done a couple of quick tests. It should be playable on Pi but due to the way the romset (at least the one I found) works you would need to keep it separate from regular versions. Before I realized this I had DK 2 Jumpman returns with Christmas theme, the 2 games sort of mixed together...

I think it should work in either MAME 0.203 or 0.172. I needed both the dkong.zip and dkongx11.zip provided as the DK Remix release in the roms folder. Using the normal romscan with no edits to the aml files it will appear in the menu as Donkey Kong 2 Jumpman Returns.

If you wanted to have a bunch of DK versions in the list at once some more thought may be required as Christmas Remix isn't really supported by MAME in the same way Jumpman Returns is. I haven't found any other of the remix versions but I imagine that's the case for any of them, at least for now (long term I imagine they'll be added to MAME just like Pauline Edition has been).

jmac
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Donkey Kong Remix?

Post by jmac » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:06 pm

Thanks for the info and you efforts to test this. I will experiment with adding one remix in a separate Mame version ROM folder. I suspect i will have some duplicate games listed in the attract mode game selection list though for now, that won't bother me. It will be a challenge to try and get the Halloween and Christmas themes, along with Jump Man returns to display together as currently they are the same ROM filename as you mentioned.