Fire button bringing up volume control

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

tonyperkwx
Community Member
Community Member

Fire button bringing up volume control

Post by tonyperkwx » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:49 pm

I googled for this one and found unrelated volume method. I also searched through the emulator specific controls while a game was up and running via tab. No luck so I need some help.

The kids did some button mashing on the game likely and ended up somehow mapping the firebutton within advmame to bring up the volume control. If you push up or down then, it scrolls through other control options. Push fire again and it goes away. This pretty much makes things unplayable. It's only when a game is running, not in attract mode, so it's mame specific.

What is this hotkey known as so I can look for a menu config that is mapping it to joy button1?

Pic of what comes up is below:

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Fire button bringing up volume control

Post by dee2eR » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:17 am

Ordinairily tilde key (~) would bring that up. I'm not sure what it's called in the menu though, I just had a quick look and couldn't find it. I have to go out for a few hours but will have a better look when I get back. Looking for the last thing added in /home/pi/.advance/advmame.rc may also reveal what it was (and you could just adjust/remove the setting from inside that file), if you wan to try doing it manually.

If you don't use the menus often it may be worth disabling the MAME and Retroarch menu shortcuts so kids cannot accidentally do this sort of thing. Deleting the 2 lines for those shortcuts in /boot/hotkeys.ini should make this sort of thing impossible without a keyboard plugged in.

tonyperkwx
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Fire button bringing up volume control

Post by tonyperkwx » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:23 pm

I removed the last two lines from the properties filed in .advmame which looked suspicious, and the mapping went away. It was something like ui_config or ui_options. Working again, thanks once again for the help!