OpenBOR games

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

triggerhappy
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

OpenBOR games

Post by triggerhappy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 pm

For the helluvit I decided to try getting an OpenBOR game working in ARpiCADE 3.X, but so far no success.

I downloaded
He-Man and The Masters of the Universe
, unzipped it, and copied the .PAK file to the /boot/romsBOR dir. I then ran the /home/pi/openbor/extract.sh script, which placed the game data in /boot/romsBOR/HE-MAN. Finally, I selected the Attract-Mode option to generate the OpenBOR ROM list.

After rebooting, I am able to see the HE-MAN game in the Attract-Mode OpenBOR menu. However, when I select it, the screen flashes for a moment and the immediately returns to the menu. It won't load.

I should acknowledge that this game is officially listed on the download site as being compatible with Windows, but my understanding is the PAK files should also work with OpenBOR on RPi, as this page appears to confirm (it mentions the He-Man game by name). Is that correct? If so, have you had any success getting it or other OpenBOR games working on ARpiCADE, and what steps am I missing?

Thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: OpenBOR games

Post by dee2eR » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:52 pm

That's one of the games I haven't had any luck with yet. Not sure if it runs on RPi (although it does look like it may from that link...), which is a shame because the He-Man game looks really well done. If a beat em up that looked like that existed in the 80s it would have cleaned up at the arcade...

I can't offhand remember which BOR version is included in ARpiCADE, it's possible a newer version exists that fixes some issues with certain games. I'll have to check it out. Definately sounds like He-Man can run on RPi from that link.

Other games should work, although some may not. I think around 2/3 of the games I tried worked fine on RPi.

triggerhappy
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: OpenBOR games

Post by triggerhappy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:35 pm

Yeah, the He-Man game looks pretty sweet. Certainly seems like it should work, but like you said, a newer version of OpenBOR may be necessary. Just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed some critical step, as this is the first OpenBOR game I've tried to install.

Might try another game now just to confirm that OpenBOR works :).