Games Not Saving

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

coney
Community Member
Community Member

Games Not Saving

Post by coney » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:49 pm

Hey all, I'm having the same issue as this guy, but figured I'd make a new thread since no one responded and it was nearly a year ago.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1703

I'm just trying to enable console game saves on my ARpiCADE. Any idea how I can do that?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Games Not Saving

Post by dee2eR » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:34 pm

I know you can save with Paystation stuff if you make a memory card via RetroArchs menus (I thought it was already done, would have to check)...

Not sure re. NES and SNES though, probably the best bet is to look into RetroArch savestates in RetroArchs documentation. Unless someone here can answer this question better than I can.

coney
Community Member
Community Member

Post by coney » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:26 am

It looks like this might be an issue with RetroArch not being able to save to SD card--I read somewhere there's a way you can grant this permission? Do you know any way of doing that?

Sorry to be a bother, I was just really excited to play through SNES JRPGs and longer stuff on the cab, but don't want to have to leave the CRT/cab running when not playing.

EDIT: If it helps at all, I found this reply you left back in 2018 saying to make a writable folder in the /home/ directory.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=530&start=160#p1956

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can access that? I can't go any further back than /boot/ as far as I can tell, but maybe I'm doing it wrong? Sorry, I'm super new with Pi/Linux stuff.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:13 am

If you're on a Windows computer you won't be able to see the second partition on the SD card. There are some third party programs for Windows that will let you but I don't have eny experience with them directly, I have heard both good and bad reports about Paragon (the bad ones could be user error or bad luck).

Linux will be able to see both partitions. But if you don't have access to another PC (or a Linux live CD/USB) you can always do it on the Pi itself. If you're very new to Linux it will be a bit of a learning experience though, if you do it on your cab you will need to do it on the command line (or possibly from Midnight Commander file browser from the service menu, but I'm not sure if that's possible, just an idea). If you have a backup image of your SD card there's no harm in trying... if you break something you can always restore.

Otherwise, I will try to remember to fix it up for the next release - or maybe I'll just do another update release for 3.X... we'll see.