Naomi

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Naomi

Post by FrizzleFried » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:26 am

OK... I'm down to trying to get FBA working with 4-players... (2 players is fine... having one helluva time trying to get it to work with 4 players)...

...and Naomi. There are some 5 or 6 Naomi/Atomiswave 4-player games. I downloaded the latest MAME ROMs and put them in the NAOMI folder.

I get a blank screen and it locks up the system requiring a power cycle. Every ROM I tried.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a BIOS file that needs to go in there too (maybe I should check that... durr)...
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Re: Naomi

Post by FrizzleFried » Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:20 am

I did put the naomi BIOS file in the folder and...

...no change.

Black screen.

Complete lockup requiring power down.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:21 am

I'm sure i've had Powerstone (I forget which one) going before...

I've had the most luck with MAME roms that have the bios file included in the rom.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:09 pm

As mentioned via PM... I tried the .172 ROMS that you mentioned in another thread here somewhere. No luck. That said... I suspect I may have a ROMlist issue.

Will report back.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:09 pm

Fail still.

Could someone please post a line from their ROMlist showing a NAOMI game please?

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:51 pm

Man... I've tried it all.

I tried a Merged Set ROM (doesn't include the BIOS file)

I tried a Non-Merged Set ROM (includes the BIOS file)

I tried including the NAOMI bios file in the folder... I tried not including it in the folder.

I tried using an Attract-Mode ROM List line that references the BIOS.

I tried using an Attract-Mode ROM list line that does not reference the BIOS.

The system, evidently, recognized the files in the NAOMI folder as I now have a NAOMI rom list that was created. I tried using those lines.

ALL the same result: A black screen that locks up the entire system requiring a reboot.

Any ideas folks?

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:51 pm

Anyone? Anything? I'm pretty stuck at this point. I even tried using the native ROM files I have for the NAOMI Netbooting cabinet I have.

Has ANYONE here gotten Naomi to work on the Pi4? If so... any guess as to what I am doing wrong?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:05 am

PM sent...

My guess is it's rom related one way or another as I've been able to run most Naomi games. I have definately had trouble finding the right roms for some of them though.

EDIT: here is a line form my Attract romlist:
pstone;Power Stone;naomi;;1999;Capcom;Fighter / 3D;2P sim;0;joy8way;preliminary;1;raster;;;;6

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:39 am

I've done some investigating and the issue turns out to be to do with the 4 player adaptor setup.

You can confirm if you like by setting 2 player mode in the service menu and trying Naomi again. You don't even need to remove the four player adaptor, it will now run Naomi games... but not four player...

Weird bug. Looks like the four player input driver is breaking the script that kills RetroArch to exit Naomi (Flycast wont work with the Linux raw input driver needed for the regular hotkeys system to work).

To work around the issue, in /boot/launchers/naomi.sh (and the dreamcast one if you use it) comment out the line (ie. put a # in front of it):
/boot/launchers/exitHotkey.py &
You will need to either use keyboard 'esc' to exit Naomi games or set a joystick/button exit command in the retroarch menus, but at least they will run.

I'll figure out a better fix for the next release, was going to be looking into a better Retroarch exit setup for unrelated reasons anyway (multiple mice wont work independantly as intended on the raw driver).

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:51 am

Ah... re-reading this apparently you're aware of the issue of trying to get P3 and P4 to be recognized. Forgive my PM.

:)

I can confirm that my ROMs all now work. I can play P1 and P2 for each gave I've tried thus far fine. I am absolutely floored at how well these games play with this Pi4 to be honest... I have the orignal NAOMI. I need to do some testing to see some side by side comparisons.

:)

Any idea oh how I can access the SERVICE MENU in NAOMI (if it's there?)?

Thanks!