Daphne controls

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

Pookycade
Community Member
Community Member

Daphne controls

Post by Pookycade » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:40 pm

Purchased Highscoresaves version of arpicade with preloaded laser disc image. I have verified at the Jamma end of things all controls are connected correctly. I can Select between dragons lair, space ace, and time warp on the splash screen. But once in the game I can’t even get a coin inserted. I would have assumed (likely incorrectly) that the controls would have been preconfigured since every other thing is set up and yet basic insert coin (or even the shortcut) does not work. I am stuck, help ?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Daphne controls

Post by dee2eR » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:16 am

It's hard to say for certain as you have a customised version of ARpiCADE. It should work how you imagined (at least on the vanilla releases), not sure if the controls have been customised or if something else may be the cause of the issue.

If you boot up with a keyboard plugged into the Pi and load up a game does the number 5 key insert a coin? The coin hotkey simulates a number 5 key press, if it's been changed from '5' the shortcut won't work as intended. If '5' works on the keyboard but not via the coin hotkey shortcut it is likely to be either the hotkeys system is changed or disabled or possibly some other unknown thing happening.

If '5' on keyboard, the joystick shortcut 'start+b1', and the coin mech input all fail to produce a coin input it's likely Daphnes input settings have been changed...

It's probably worth checking the coin input on the command line to make sure it's not a Daphne config issue or something. If you boot with a keyboard in then press 'f4' to exit all the menus at the command line type:
jstest /dev/input/js0
then try the coin input to see if it responds at all. ctrl+c to exit the test and
sudo reboot
to get back to the game selection.

If the hotkey system is running you should also be able to produce a '5' on the command line using the coin hotkey shortcut. You can turn the hotkeys on or off at the command line with the following commands:
hotkeys start
hotkeys stop
It may also be worth downloading the latest vanilla version or ARpiCADE for your Pi ( viewforum.php?f=12 ) and burning it to another SD card to see if the default release makes any difference.

EDIT: the build may have the games set to freeplay, you may be able to start the games without coining up.

Pookycade
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Daphne controls

Post by Pookycade » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:12 am

The ini looks pretty default generic on this build (see attached) I’ll hook up the keyboard and see where I get to here as well as try your steps above. I know the joystick works but it may have some weird mapping here for reasons I don’t understand in this build.
Attachments
E7A53E6A-A064-43A1-809A-610AE4133454.png
E7A53E6A-A064-43A1-809A-610AE4133454.png (187.39 KiB) Viewed 3697 times