Smash TV: bad rom?

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

Pyper
Community Member
Community Member

Smash TV: bad rom?

Post by Pyper » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:57 pm

I have a working Arpicade that seems to play all games well, except Smash TV.
The P1 left joystick works, but none of the other three work.
All joysticks work fine on the other games I have tested that came with the Arpicade.
Did I get a bad rom?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Smash TV: bad rom?

Post by dee2eR » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:18 am

It may just be the setup of the game and fixable from the MAME menus in the controls for this game submenu.
SmashTV should definately work right so one way or the other you should be able to fix it up.

Pyper
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Pyper » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:56 am

By MAME menu, do you mean the menu where you select the game?
Since I have 4 joysticks and no buttons (dedicated Smash TV cabinet), I'm not sure how to enter the settings for a game from that menu.
Once I have everything working, how can I boot directly to Smash TV?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:11 am

plug in a keyboard prior to booting up to access the MAME menu while the game is running if you have no cab buttons. It is not the menu in the game select menu, that's a different program called Attract-Mode. With the game running press 'tab' to open MAMEs menu. Depending on the MAME version it can be useful to pause the game with 'p' first.

You can boot directly to any game by editing /boot/run.sh there's an example in file but if you need help doing it let me know... I'll need to know which MAME the rom is in to give you better instructions. If you edit run.sh on a Windows PC use Notepad++ (it's free and very good) and not any of the built in Windows editors as they tend to break Linux files.

Pyper
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Pyper » Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:57 pm

Thanks so much!
I DID get the joysticks working by hooking up a keyboard and hitting TAB while the game was running.
Tons of characters were missing, but I still managed to figure it out. Yay! It plays very well, lots of fun!

I edited the run.sh file with notepad++, uncommented the example and changed 'simpsons' with 'smashtv'. It still booted to the attraction/choose-a-game screen. What am I missing to make it boot straight to Smash TV?

Smash TV is in /boot/romsArcade/mame-172/smashtv.zip

My run.sh has this line:

/boot/launchers/advmame.sh smashtv >/dev/null 2>&1

EDIT: figured it out, changed the line to
/boot/launchers/mame172.sh smashtv >/dev/null 2>&1
and now it works!
Yay!