Nintendo Entertainment System Select Button

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

Kickman
Community Member
Community Member

Nintendo Entertainment System Select Button

Post by Kickman » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:49 pm

By default all controls work perfectly for Nestopia except select button. I put a vector labs switcher in my Goonies Vs cab with their jamma adapter so I could run Mario brothers, popeye, and Sky Skipper. I wanted the ability to run all Vs Games with the Arpicade and everything works perfectly. Then I began to add a few NES systems games that require a select button like gunsmoke. You need select button to buy ammo and weapons in game play. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to map a select button and I can’t really find much information on this. Joy left and P1 start doesn’t open a mame menu. Any suggestions on how I could perhaps map P2 start in Nestopia emulator as select? Appreciate help.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Nintendo Entertainment System Select Button

Post by dee2eR » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:30 pm

select should be set to b3 for NES.

If it isn't I'll have to have a look into setting the button, it'l be done through the Retroarch menus (P1start+B6 OR keyboard 'f1') but I can't remember the details offhand. It's possible it needs to be set in either in the quick menu bit or the main input settings, RA can be confusing for inputs so I'll have to check it to be sure.

EDIT: because of the way the RA inputs work you may not be able to use a player 2 input for player 1 select.

Kickman
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Nintendo Entertainment System Select Button

Post by Kickman » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:20 am

Thanks for the info, sorry for late reply. The reason I asked about player 2 start = select on the Nestopia is because I’m running the Arpicade in my Vs cabinet with vector labs switcher, with a jamma adapter. No mods were made to my cabinet harness. I may be able to grab a wire off the adapter, and add a button possible in the coin door hidden, I did not wish to alter my stock Vs panel. The vector labs switcher also has inputs for light gun and Nintendo zapper and some gun games need a select on NES I think also. It’s a work in progress. I try the P1-B3 and see if that works. I’ll report back