Latest rom compatibilty list

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

Happswitch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Latest rom compatibilty list

Post by Happswitch » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:23 am

You can find the latest rom compatibility list here: https://arpicade.com/documentation/
Live Fast, Die Last!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Latest rom compatibilty list

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:16 pm

I've made a new list of recommendations to go with the 3.71 release having a couple of new emulators. 1670 games on the list.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6UOe ... WdDYTV1SG8

jfvary
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jfvary » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:39 am

Thanks, this list helps a lot! I started with no roms and I'm adding them one by one so my setup doesn't get full of bad games.

This list is essential for anyone adding roms to Arpicade!

mikehamp78
Community Member
Community Member

Post by mikehamp78 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:56 am

I'm sorry for what is a very noob question, but when I download a rom, how do I know which version of mame it is ?
I'm not even sure if I'm asking the right question here !

So, as an example, if I download nbajam.zip from X website, the rom compatibility list says it will work best if I put it in the mame078 rom folder.

How do I know if the file i've downloaded is 'compatible' with that MAME version. Could it be an older or newer version ? How would I tell, other than lots of trial and error.

I too don't want 10 million roms on my machine, but I really just want to handpick maybe 50 games I will actually play.

I don't know if it taboo to ask this, but is there somewhere in particular I could get a romset that matches the 1670 games that we know are compatible ? I'm happy to receive an email (mikehamp78@gmail.com) with an answer, if it not wanted to be stated on a public forum ! Then I could transfer the roms I want into the various different folders on my SD card.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:06 am

Usually sites will state which romset the roms are from or list a recomended emulator. Often but far from always a rom will work accross some or many of the MAME versions. Your best bet to find particular versions of roms is to use archive.org or Google 'mame [version you want] reference set'. Places like emuparadise generally have fairly current sets which will most likely work in the newer versions of MAME (172 and 181).

The good news is the compatible romlist isn't set in stone and a fair few games run well in pretty much any version of MAME. Don't be afraid to deviate from the list, although it will increase the trial and error. I haven't tried a lot of the games that are in AdvMAME in that list in newer MAME versions, they are still in AdvMAME from earlier versions of ARpiCADE when AdvMAME was the newest MAME available. I'm sure many of the games listed as running best in AdvMAME could be running in 172 for the more accurate and up to date emulation.

Unfortunately there's no custom set to recommend that I'm aware of.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Am I missing something but... isn't Zaxxon compatible? Super Zaxxon is in there...
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Quite the opposite, I missed it on the list - good catch. Zaxxon should run good in advmame, may work well in a newer verions too but I'm not sure.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:33 pm

It's not on my "ALL ROMS" list either... how do I go about adding it? I tried just dumping the ROM in the MAME173 ROM folder on the BOOT drive... but it didn't work... admittedly, I've done little research thus far though...
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:37 pm

hopefully you figured it out already but you just need to add the rom you want to the corresponding folder the rescan the roms while the system is running.

Press 'service' cabside or left/right arrows on a keyboard to open the service menu and select the option to rescan arcade roms only then the option to combine the arcade and console gamelists.

If you want to turn the automatic rom sorting back on you can (re)activate it in the file /boot/run.sh

hope that makes sense, I'm sick and my head is a bit off.

Skiwee
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Skiwee » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Any suggestions of which bios, settings, qsound, etc files that I need to run things like neogeo and capcom games?