Daphne : No sound in Dragon's Lair (only "action beep")

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Daphne : No sound in Dragon's Lair (only "action beep")

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 2:21 am

It's likely if you have only 1 of 2 dragons lair audio channels that either your DAC has mono sound output, or your 3.5mm audio cable only has 1 channel working due to damage or defect. I have been testing for stereo sound for the last few years due to this, also have changed from generic to Vention branded DACs.

First thing I'd try is another 3.5mm cable, especially if you already have one you can try.

If the issue is the DAC you will need either a new DAC that has both audio channels or you could redirect the audio output to the Pi 3.5mm (move the cable and adjust the output in software) and bypass the DAC audio entirely.

If you need one I can supply a tested DAC if you like.

pinhead77
Community Member
Community Member

Post by pinhead77 » Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:49 am

Ok, a new 3.5mm cable fixed the problem.

Thank you!

Elvis151
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Elvis151 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:12 pm

I had the same problem. I tested with powered computer speakers plugged into the DAC. I purchased new DACs from Amazon until I found one that worked. I now have one with no sound and 1 with only 1 channel. They were cheap, so no big deal.

After reading this thread, dee2er writes:

If the issue is the DAC you will need either a new DAC that has both audio channels or you could redirect the audio output to the Pi 3.5mm (move the cable and adjust the output in software) and bypass the DAC audio entirely.

Is it easy to redirect the audio to the Pi 3.5mm audio output?

If it is, I would rather just edit a config file rather than blindly ordering DACs from Amazon if I have this issue again.

Thanks for your help, Ron

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:24 pm

There's a commented out line in /boot/run.sh to move the sound to the Pis 3.5mm jack. If you uncomment it the audio setting should be changed. I think that's all that's needed.

Audio out of the Pi won't be quite as good but in most cases for the old games we are playing the difference probably wouldn't be noticable.