[SOLVED] Unable to get Donpachi to work

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

[SOLVED] Unable to get Donpachi to work

Post by mR_CaESaR » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:26 am

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone here can help me out with Donpachi (the original one donpachi.zip).

I've used the FBA version v0.2.97.42 and v0.2.97.39 and both seem to have the same result ie. the screen loads up, but when you try and add credits (pressing 5, pressing start + button 1 or inserting a $1 coin), it just exits out back to the menu.

The following text is what's received after inserting coin (I have on idea why it's referencing /boot/roms/fba/$1.zip either and not donpachi.zip)

Code: Select all

/boot/launchers/fba.sh: line 74: 8547 Segmentation fault /home/pi/.config/retroarch/
bin/retroarch -L /home/pi/.config/retroarach/cores/lr-fba-next/fba_libretro.so -c /home/pi/
.config/retroarch/fba_libretro.so.cfg /boot/roms/fba/$1.zip
sudo: unable to resolve host arpicade-shmups
rm: cannot remove ?/dev/input/js2?: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove ?/dev/input/js3?: No such file or directory
Powering on HDMI with explicit settings (CEA mode 6)

Details of ARpiCade:

- Fresh install on a brand new 16GB card with base 3.8 image
- Updated to 3.811
- Configured Wi-Fi, SFTP access and hostname to "arpicade-shmups" as per https://arpicade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=468
- Configured audio in 3.811 to SDL for advmame as per https://arpicade.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... rt=40#p957
- Created displays to have their own romlist.

My Cave.txt romlist is as follows:

Code: Select all

#Name;Title;Emulator;CloneOf;Year;Manufacturer;Category;Players;Rotation;Control;Status;DisplayCount;DisplayType;AltRomname;AltTitle;Extra;Buttons
ddonpach;DoDonPachi (International, master ver. 97/02/05);fba;;1997;Atlus / Cave;;;;;;;;;;
ddpdojblk;DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou Black Label (V100, (2002.10.07.Black Ver), Japan);fba;;2002;Cave / AMI;;;;;;;;;;
ddpdoj;DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou (1 V101, Japan);fba;;2002;Cave / AMI;;;;;;;;;;
donpachi;DonPachi (US);fba;;1995;Cave (Atlus license);Shoot-'Em-Up;;;;;0;;;;;
espgal;Espgaluda (V100, Japan);fba;;2003;CAVE / AMI;;;;;;;;;;
esprade;ESP Ra.De. - A.D.2018 Tokyo (International, ver. 98/04/22);fba;;1998;Atlus / Cave;;;;;;;;;;
feversos;Fever SOS (International, ver. 98/09/25);fba;;1998;Cave / Nihon System inc.;;;;;;;;;;
guwange;Guwange (Japan, Master Ver. 99/06/24);fba;;1999;Atlus / Cave;;;;;;;;;;
ket;Ketsui Kizuna Jigoku Tachi (Revision 2?, Japan);fba;;2002;CAVE / AMI;;;;;;;;;;
As you can see it's calling fba as the emulator. These roms are inside the /boot/roms/fba directory. Every other rom in the Cave.txt romlist works fine EXCEPT for DonPachi.

On my bartops (horizontal running hyperpie on rpi3 and vertical running vertipie on rpi2) the exact same rom works perfectly fine.

I tried using advmame as the emulator and (the only DonPachi roms in the 106 set I have is donpachj.zip and donpachk.zip which is 241KB and 240KB respectively. A massive difference compared to the 4734KB donpachi.zip rom from the FBA set) when it launches, it immediately comes back to the menu screen.

Am I missing something completely as to why this isn't working? Anybody else have the same issue?

Thanks
Last edited by mR_CaESaR on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Unable to get Donpachi to work

Post by mR_CaESaR » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:24 am

Found this https://retropie.org.uk/forum/post/33788

Which links to a github code page and have no idea what it means or how to implement the fix..

https://github.com/libretro/fbalpha/com ... 90723efc2d

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 am

Sounds like it doesn't run good in FBA. Should work fine in AdvMAME if you find a working rom. One thing that may be worth trying is the rom from FBA in AdvMAME, it may work or it may contain the parent files needed for the 2 clones you have to work. May not work too, but probably worth a try.

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:02 am

dee2eR wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:09 am
Sounds like it doesn't run good in FBA. Should work fine in AdvMAME if you find a working rom. One thing that may be worth trying is the rom from FBA in AdvMAME, it may work or it may contain the parent files needed for the 2 clones you have to work. May not work too, but probably worth a try.
It's weird, because on the original hyperpie and vertipie it works perfectly fine on the fba core in that (I'll have to double check which one it is).

I did try my FBA rom in AdvMame and it didn't load it properly, I'll look for other roms online and see how I go.

Is there a way to update the core of FBA to use the lr-fbalpha core (v0.2.97.42) and not the lr-fba-next core?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:49 pm

I would advise against using the 0.2.97.42 core as they changed the control setup and arcade mode has been removed so the controls change around a lot. The next ARpiCADE release will have version 0.2.97.40. which seems alright to me so far.

It's not advisable to do a quick update of just a core, often Retroarch also needs to be updated to take advantage of a new feature or function with a new core. That said, you can compile cores or if you happen to have a core handy (like from one of your other Pi Linux builds) you can drop it in as a replacement for the existing, it may go fine, may cause issues, hard to say as it depends what has changed.

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:50 pm

Fair enough. I'll stick to what is the default core from what you release.

I just have to find the correct romsets for it.

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:15 am

Found a 0.172 rom that works!

Starting to finalise the build for the "tate" cab.