Dumb Daphne Question

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Dumb Daphne Question

Post by FrizzleFried » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Yeah, it's a dumb question, but why waste time even if there is a TINY chance that it may not work...

Dumb Daphne Question: OK, so I have Dragons Lair, DL2, Space Ace and Super Don all working fine. Do any/all the OTHER titles supported by Daphne work?

...and since it's SORT of the same realm (laserdisc based games), does MAME172 /ARpiCADE support MACH3? I play MACH3 on my regular MAME so I know it was supported well before .172, but I'm not sure if the ARpiCADE will run it or not...(it's not THAT CPU intensive, is it?)

See, look at that... two dumb laserdisc questions in one post!

:D
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Dumb Daphne Question

Post by dee2eR » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:32 am

Can't say I've tried Mach3. I don't have a chd for it and a quick Google leads me to believe the chd is 15+ gig. It is supposed to be supported by MAME, no idea about speed on Pi though.

You listed all the Daphne games I have, I imagine more will work but it seems like some stuff is a struggle, I don't have the games to try at the moment.

The only other "laser disc" game I know works is the Playstation port of Road Blaster.

Sorry I don't think I'm much help to you on this one.

bravebluerx
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by bravebluerx » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:39 pm

Cliffhanger works
Last edited by bravebluerx on Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:03 pm

OK... DL, DL2, SA and Super Don all work great. I managed to get Cliff Hanger to work awesome as well. Using the same method as I used with Cliff Hanger (I parse using my PC and the game works on the PC via the Daphne Loader), I get a blank screen with: Badlands, Bega's Battle, and Cobra Command. Nothing more (well, a couple give the "not perfect emulation" message then blank screen).

M.A.C.H. 3 and Us vs Them both work... but with audio stuttering. I am not sure if it's the fact the system can't keep up or if there is simply a compatibility issue... the graphics seem to not skip, but movement DOES seem a little laggy so it's certainly possible the Pi3 just can't keep up.

That's what I've tried thus far. I'd love to get Badlands and Cobra Command working. I wonder what is making them hang...

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:20 pm

OK... these are the games I have gotten to work:

Dragon's Lair
Dragon's Lair II
Space Ace
Super Don Q
Astron Belt
Interstellar
Esh's Aurunmilla

These are the games that run, but have messed up sound (it's not a low-speed issue either... there's something going on with the audio for these games running on the Pi... it's not affecting graphics/image/speed...

Us vs Them
M.A.C.H. 3

These are the games that will just load to a black screen for me. Nothing more...

Badlands
Bega's Battle
Cobra Command
Road Blasters

Finally, I'm having a hard time getting Galaxy Ranger to do anything but crash back to the menu... that said, I've only just started with that game.

I'm most bummed by Badlands and Cobra Command not working... I'd also love to get the sound issues worked out for M.A.C.H. 3 and Us v Them (both Mylstar games)...

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:26 am

OK... add Cobra Command to the working list. I was able to get cobraab.zip version to work (uses the Astron Belt hardware I think I read).

I also got Galaxy Rangers to work...

That leaves only Badlands, Bega's Battle and Road Blasters... plus the audio issue with Mach 3 and Us vs Them.

I've tried to "force samples" which did nothing considering the sound issue is coming from the laser disc audio I do believe.

I've tried both versions of Badlands with no success and the same goes for Bega's... Road Blasters only has one version and it's not working for me (but does on the PC).

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:54 pm

Welp,

I have been doing some poking around and it seems that NO ONE can get Badlands, Bega's Battle, or Road Blaster to work on the Pi 3...

I'm doubting the Pi 3 B+ will be any different, but who knows.

Now, i've not come across anyone mentioning my sound issue in MACH 3 or UvT though... hmmm...

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:56 am

If these games don't seem to work accross any Pi Daphne version it may be a lack of ram or other hardware quirk that is the issue, can't think of why else stuff that would work in Windows won't work on Pi (assuming everything on Daphne requires about the same amount of CPU grunt to run). I don't have those games but are the framefiles much larger than other games that will run on Pi? If so a swap partition may help but will also cause excessive SD card wear (it may also be possible to use a USB stick as swap memory or some other slightly rediculous solution).

I think the sound in Daphne is from the .ogg files (could be wrong though), maybe there's a difference in the encoding on the games you have bad audio with (and the codec on Windows works fine with it but not the Pi version... maybe). It could be worth looking at the properties of the audio files to see if they're different in some way.

Just throwing ideas out there. I don't really know Daphne very well, it may be you have it running as good as it can already.

EDIT:
removed irrelevant reference to PS port I had already refered to earlier in thread.

Also refering to the first post in the thread I suspect lack of ram (or maybe SD card space) is also why games with large CHDs don't work on Pis. Trying a 1gig CHD (Golden Tee Fore 06) recently seemed to cause the game to hang after loading the harddisk (finished loading but the game never started up, just sat at the completed loading screen).

gamefixer
Community Member
Community Member

Post by gamefixer » Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:11 pm

Yo @frizz!!!!

Help me get Cliff Hanger working. :)