Neo Geo

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Neo Geo

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:06 am

OK... On my machine Neo Geo ROMs play great in FBA... except that none of the high scores are saved AND I get an annoying "tick/pop" sound from certain "music" ...

...If I move the ROMs over to MAME172 the games play without the tick... the high scores are saved... but the speed suffers in some games during high demand moments in the game. I am hoping the Pi 3 B+ overclocked overcomes some of this issue.

I guess my questions are...

(1) Anyone else get that annoying tick/pop sound in some of the music? If so, any solution?

(2) Any way to get high scores to save for Neo-Geo games using FBA?

Thanks!
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Neo Geo

Post by dee2eR » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:14 am

High score saving for FBA is coming in the next update*, it doesn't work for all games but does for NEOGEO.
In the meantime AdvMAME will run most NEOGEO games fine and save high scores.

I haven't noticed the audio issue but I also don't emulate NEOGEO that often so it may be I literally haven't noticed it happening, if it's a FBA thing it could be that it is also fixed in the FBA update coming in the next ARpiCADE release. Otherwise I can only recommend trying AdvMAME for the games that have the issue, hopefully if a game doesn't work great in one it does in the other (I think Strikers 1945 Plus was like that, I think it has extra slowdown in FBA or something... the details are fuzzy as it was ages ago I encountered it).

* next update is still ETA unknown as I have internet issues currently

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:40 am

Is it just Neo Geo or everything FBA in general that doesn't save high scores?

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:46 am

EDIT #3 ...

Evidently I don't know what the hell I am doing.

Which folder is ADVMAME? I can't get Neo-Geo to work in anything other than 172 and FBA thus far... I've tried 078... I've tried 106... 078 appears to be MAME2003 ... but I thought it was ADVMAME? Then I read 106 is ADVMAME... so I change my romlist to ADVMAME and move all my neogeo files over to 106 and... no go.

Can someone please be explicitly clear as to which folder is for which emulator ... and may I suggest future versions simply indicate which ROM folder is for which emulator by naming them similarly... (ex: MAME106 could become ADVMAME106 or something similar).
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:40 am

Advance mame is definitely 106

With every pi build I've ever done, neo Geo games have always been on FBA. I just couldn't get them to run properly except on fba..

MichaelAdvip
Community Member
Community Member

Neo Geo

Post by MichaelAdvip » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:22 pm

I think its more a joke about an add-on for the Neo Geo similar to how the 32X was an add-on for the Genesis. I think only Sega was ever that crazy.

Hashman
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Hashman » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:05 pm

I have the same problem with apricade 3.83b. Mame 106 games audio lag is now fixed but all my neo geo in FBA have the popping sound in the attract mode music.

Any fix for this? I can only get certain neo geo roms to work in 106 as most just dont load.