Dreamcast Emulator and Odroid XU4 support

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

ArPiUser
Community Member
Community Member

Dreamcast Emulator and Odroid XU4 support

Post by ArPiUser » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Any plans on adding Dreamcast emulation via Reicast? I've tried Reicast on an overclocked Pi 3B with RetroPie and the performance was not bad. Is there a way to manually add emulators to ARpiCADE or do we have to wait for the next release? Wondering if a stock Pi 3B+ or an overclocked Pi 3B+ would be the way to go due to the increased performance needed for Reicast.

Also, any plans to support the Odroid XU4? ORA has a Retropie image for the Odroid XU4. It is gaining in popularity among the RetroPie community because of how much faster it is than the Pi3B+.
The specs are very impressive. I would imagine the GPIO are very different between an Odroid XU4 and Pi 3B/3B+. Check out the link below for Odroid XU4 specs.
https://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Dreamcast Emulator and Odroid XU4 support

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:12 am

From the very quick look I had a while back the XU4 cannot do low res output, the video chip on it is really not suited to this application.

Reicast is really buggy. I can include it if there's interest but not much runs properly. It's not only a lack of power, it's not a very accurate emulator - I wouldn't expect more than a few games to play without graphical errors or other bugs. (for the record the same would be true for the XU4 although the extra speed may help for some game(s) the emulator itself will still be not that great) - happy to add it if there's demand though.

As for adding emulators, it's not hard but is a little involved - you need to add the emulator software (may involve compiling or finding a compatible binary), set it up for the controls & video output & folder structure etc, add it to the frontend, if you need res switching make a launcher for it, add rom folder and art as necessary. Easier to wait for me to do it? Yes, but you could certainly do it yourself.

ArPiUser
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ArPiUser » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:17 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:12 am
From the very quick look I had a while back the XU4 cannot do low res output, the video chip on it is really not suited to this application.

Reicast is really buggy. I can include it if there's interest but not much runs properly. It's not only a lack of power, it's not a very accurate emulator - I wouldn't expect more than a few games to play without graphical errors or other bugs. (for the record the same would be true for the XU4 although the extra speed may help for some game(s) the emulator itself will still be not that great) - happy to add it if there's demand though.

As for adding emulators, it's not hard but is a little involved - you need to add the emulator software (may involve compiling or finding a compatible binary), set it up for the controls & video output & folder structure etc, add it to the frontend, if you need res switching make a launcher for it, add rom folder and art as necessary. Easier to wait for me to do it? Yes, but you could certainly do it yourself.
As for adding emulators, that seems like a lot of work so it would definitely be easier to wait for you plus you would do a better job I'm sure. My cabinet setup is with an LCD so being able to play emulators that support hi res would be great. The 3 that I would love to see added (hopefully others feel the same way) are N64, Dreamcast, PSP. I realize that gameplay may not be ideal.

As for the XU4, I didn't realize it didn't support low res output.

Thanks for the quick response.

segaman
Community Member
Community Member

Post by segaman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 pm

Thumbs up from me with Dreamcast (my favourite console) PSP and N64, could it be possible for Saturn, Amstrad 464, and Atari ST emulator please.