Journey, Wizard of War, Moonwalker

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

Slam_Bradley
Community Member
Community Member

Journey, Wizard of War, Moonwalker

Post by Slam_Bradley » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:22 pm

Hello! I've owned my ARpiCADE for quite a while now and finally decided to clean up my game list a bit and add some new stuff. Currently on version 3.7

Before adding the ROMs I downloaded a fresh version of MAME 0.172 to my Windows machine and tested out each ROM isolated in that fresh copy to make sure they were compatible with that version. I allowed the system to do a full ROM scan and added the entries to allGames.txt as needed. Note that I added all of these games to MAME172 in the SD drive.. so perhaps I want to try a different MAME version?

I added Gorf (with samples) and Gauntlet successfully, but other games I tried adding didn't work out.

Wizard of Wor: No attract screen, can not load.

Journey: Loads attract screen in UI, but I can't actually load the game. I haven't added the sound samples yet for this one. Will that prevent it from loading or is it something else?

Moonwalker: I don't seem to even see an entry of this in the UI! Not sure what to think on this one. Maybe I typo'd the entry for it in allGames.txt

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Journey, Wizard of War, Moonwalker

Post by dee2eR » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:54 pm

As far as I know missing samples won't stop a game from running (without sounds). I don't know of why a rom would work on 172 on a desktop but not a Pi (unless you were missing a bios file or some thing didn't copy over right....).

This guide (slightly out of date) may help: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wMSNB ... -Z-27jIPlA it has both Journey and WOW in AdvMAME (works with samples too, although I haven't got to the end of Journey to hear if the 'tape' plays, WOW speech samples work).

Unfortunately I don't how the performance of WOW etc in 172 is, they may be better off there - maybe not - hard to say. Sometimes with MAME there's been improvements to the emulation making it very important to run in newer MAME versions, sometimes not... again, I don't know for sure in this instance.

Slam_Bradley
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Slam_Bradley » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:08 am

Thanks for the reply! I had noticed that list earlier but wanted to get experimental. Now I've taken a step back and added wow, moonwalk, and journey to the advmame folder.

I did have a typo in the Moonwalker line. Had a : instead of a ; heh.

So now all 3 of these games display in attract mode but won't actually play. I'm going to try downloading advmame to the windows machine and trying each rom on that before dumping to the SDcard and attempting again.

Slam_Bradley
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Slam_Bradley » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:34 am

Update: OK, I discovered that advMAME does not want to load .7z files or even folders containing the ROMs in advMAME for Windows. Once I converted my folders to .zip format, Wizard of Wor and Moonwalker now work!

I should have tried all 3 though as Journey still doesn't work yet.. going to try to debug that one.

Slam_Bradley
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Slam_Bradley » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:57 pm

Journey just needed an older version of the rom than I was trying.

All set on these 3 games now.