Newbie questions - adding ROMs

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

Mmezo
Community Member
Community Member

Newbie questions - adding ROMs

Post by Mmezo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:56 pm

Hey I'm new here and having some trouble. How do I add ROMs, is there a step by step process? How do I know which directory to add them to? I got one added I thought in that it showed up in the menu, but it doesn't load when I click it. the ROM has been tested and runs in mame4all on my phone.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Newbie questions - adding ROMs

Post by dee2eR » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:45 pm

Sometimes a game needs extra files too, for instance a bios rom - if you have managed to get a game into the list that doesn't work that could be the issue if the rom is good and matches the MAME version. It may be worth simply copying the rom again just in case something went odd the first time too.

Arcade roms go in /boot/roms/mame-[version number]/ *(keep the MAME roms zipped)*

Console roms go in /boot/roms/consoles/[system] *(console roms need to be unzipped with no spaces in the filenames - underscores will be replaced by spaces in the game list)*

Generally adding roms is just put the rom into the folder corresponding to the MAME version you want and make sure you safely remove/eject/unmount the SD card afterward. If you haven't switched it off the romscanner is automatic at startup, if it's off you can scan the roms from the service menu.

I haven't spent much time with lr-MAME2000 A.K.A. MAME 0.037 A.K.A. MAME4all since putting the Retroarch version in to replace the old stand alone version of MAME4all it's possible it's just buggy too. I think of it as the last resort (compared to the newer versions of MAME) anyway due to it being the most out of date, least accurate version of MAME in use.

I hope that helps.