Certain games will not load

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

Pepsikrazy
Community Member
Community Member

Certain games will not load

Post by Pepsikrazy » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:07 pm

Hello, I am having a real tough time trying to get certain games to load and am not sure what i am doing wrong. I am not sure if I am applying it to the wrong emulator, or I have a bad rom. Here are a couple games i am struggling with: vs. Atari R.B.I Baseball, Dr. Mario, Simpsons Bowling, vs. Duck Hunt, Ghouls and Ghosts, Popeye, Super Mario, WWF Wrestlefest - Royal Rumble. And most importantly for me Donkey Kong, DK Remix, DK2, DK3, DK Spooky, Pauline Edition, Foundry, everything DK will not work. And I have this setup in a custom DK Remix/ Dr Mario cabinet. So i really need to get these going, lol. It seems like alot of Nintendo Playchoice games wont work.

I have been getting my roms from a site called planetemu, I have even tried a couple roms from different sites, no luck. I tried them in every emulator, no luck. I feel like I am missing something. The closest i ever got was the game to load in to arpicade, and it would appear in the menu with an image of the game, but would not open. I have heard something about the spooky and the christmas remix have to be combined with a DK , but if i cant even get regular DK to load thats a problem. When i select to edit these games it says the rom is good (not sure if that is relevant) I am typically using 172 emulator for my games. Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

lobdale
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Certain games will not load

Post by lobdale » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:11 pm

The romset you're using has to match the version of the emulator in the folder--rarely do these website specify what version of the romset the games are from.

Start somewhere like archive.org which actually lists what version of mame the sets are for.

Pepsikrazy
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Pepsikrazy » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:47 pm

Thanks very much for the reply. I will check that site out and get back to you with my results!

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:49 pm

also make sure you have any required bios roms etc. For instance, look here:

http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_m ... tosearch=1

The ROM is for "GORF" scroll down to required mame files, itll show all files required for what ever version ROM you are trying to run/launch

Pepsikrazy
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Pepsikrazy » Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:50 pm

Thank you very much to both members for your help. I have now been able to get pretty much everything running now from the 2 links that were suggested. They were very helpful.

The only games I have not been able to get running is Simpsons Bowling and Donkey Kong Remix. For Simpsons Bowling, I installed the bios file and still no luck. Do I need to include CHD as well with the rom and bios?

As far as DK Remix, is there even a rom set for the original DK Remix? I do have the Christmas and Spooky Remix roms but can not get them going. I have read the previous posts regarding installing these, but I have had no luck. In the end I am hoping to have every version of Donkey Kong in this machine, any help in explaining how to get these working would be appreciated.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:36 pm

You will need the CHD for Simpsons Bowling, but I don't think it will run great as it's a 3D game and MAME doesn't use hardware acceleration for 3D.

DK remix games do work, these threads maybe useful: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1194 and viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1503&p=4758&hilit=dk+remix#p4758 - I haven't personally tried them for years now but I can have a look at my build to see if I did anything special to get them gfoing if you need.

Pepsikrazy
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Pepsikrazy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:01 pm

Thanks again to all who have helped me figure this out. I have been able to get most of my mame games going. I was able to get DK Spooky working as well. I did not get the Christams one working, i feel i may have a bad rom for that one and will keep looking for a good one.

So now im trying to get some console games loaded up NES, Dreamcast, etc. But i feel i am having the same issues across all consoles. I place the Dreamcast roms in the dreamcast folder, unzipped. But when i turn the arcade on the games are listed but will not load. No images, marquees, just the game title. What am i doing wrong, lol. Am i suppose to place an emulator in the file? Please help me.....again!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:19 am

For console stuff the preview images etc will need to be added (and matching the filenames of the games). As console emulators don't use MAME style naming it isn't possible to have them pre setup in the same way as arcade games.

Not sure what is wrong re. your DC (and othert console) roms. You do not need to add an emulator but the files may be in an unexpected format(?) or just not compatible for some unknown reason... if you give me more info on the files you're trying I may be able to suggest what the issue is. I've had good luck with using CHDs for DC games personally, although it is not the only acceptable file type.