Capcom Anthology

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Capcom Anthology

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:55 pm

I have a cabinet that runs a Darksoft Multi-CPS2 system in it that I put together a custom artwork set for that I call "Capcom Anthology"...

This is what it looks like...

IMG_6272 (Custom).JPG
IMG_6272 (Custom).JPG (85.47 KiB) Viewed 8017 times

It works great... for me. But when I have a bunch of my 8 year old sons friends over... or when I have friends/family over myself... the interface to change games (using the remote LCD board that I have located in the coin door) is a bit cumbersome... and lets be honest, 99.9% of people out there have no idea if they are playing emulation or the real PCB... so I decided to add a 2nd PCB to the mix (well, I already had a PB4 running in there to play CPS1 games)... and what better option than the ARpiCADE?

SO... after a bit of tweaking / working I set up a custom ARpiCADE running just Capcom titles... classic titles... CPS, CPS1.5, and CPS3 titles and I decided to put CPS2 titles in the mix as well after being harassed to change the game (using just the Darksoft multi) a half dozen times at my last gathering.

Here are a couple shots of the front end... I used the MACHINES front end... removed the animation code that didn't seem to be working anyway... I added a click sound for movement... as well as re-skinning it. I also re-skinned the startup image and the loading images too... Overall I think it goes well with my cabinets artwork...

CAPCOM_ARPICADE3.jpg
CAPCOM_ARPICADE3.jpg (91.26 KiB) Viewed 8018 times
CAPCOM_ARPICADE2.jpg
CAPCOM_ARPICADE2.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 8018 times

Thus far I have had no problems with any game aside from RED EARTH / WARZARD ... which I can't seem to find a ROM/CHD file that will work... >argh<. I chose to omit all vertical oriented games (who plays vertical games on a horizontal standard res monitor anyway?!?) as well as Forgotten Worlds (no twisty joystick) and all the Asian card-type games, etc... I'm sure I still have a few more to find/add though.
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Capcom Anthology

Post by mR_CaESaR » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:25 pm

FrizzleFried wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:55 pm
I have a cabinet that runs a Darksoft Multi-CPS2 system in it that I put together a custom artwork set for that I call "Capcom Anthology"...

This is what it looks like...
Very very nice!
FrizzleFried wrote:
and lets be honest, 99.9% of people out there have no idea if they are playing emulation or the real PCB...
Ooooh... you didn't go there???!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tell this to the shmups community with their 1k CAVE pcbs :lol: :lol:

Or the hardcore 3s fans.

Seeing as you have both - what are your thoughts on CPS2 games? Can you tell the difference?

I know for me, whenever I play any Capcom fighter, I am unable to tell, but I don't have a direct comparison on hand to be really able to tell.
FrizzleFried wrote:
SO... after a bit of tweaking / working I set up a custom ARpiCADE running just Capcom titles... classic titles... CPS, CPS1.5, and CPS3 titles and I decided to put CPS2 titles in the mix as well after being harassed to change the game (using just the Darksoft multi) a half dozen times at my last gathering.
Are you running them all from the one emulator or are you mixing and matching?

It'd be interesting to see your romlist as this would be a great additional display on my "yoko" setup that I will eventually get to :)
FrizzleFried wrote:
Here are a couple shots of the front end... I used the MACHINES front end... removed the animation code that didn't seem to be working anyway... I added a click sound for movement... as well as re-skinning it. I also re-skinned the startup image and the loading images too... Overall I think it goes well with my cabinets artwork...
Looks great!

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:44 pm

CPS2 games are emulated exceptionally well... I have a hard time telling the difference (at least with MAME and a PC... I have yet to put much time in the ARpiCADE with the CPS setup yet). Surely some of the most crazy collectors/gamers out there that know every last bit of a CPS game can likely tell (maybe?)... but like I said, the vast majority of people can't.

I am running two emulators currently. FBA for CPS3 games and MAME172 for all others. I have yet to put enough time in to each game to know if it will be worth moving the games recommended for AdvancedMAME over... as they seem to play just fine on MAME172 from a casual glance.

I'm just getting this put together. Trying to get the games up and running (with all artwork, etc.). Heck, I still have to determine how I am going to work the kick harness ... I suspect I'm going to build a splitter of some sort ... I'll deal with that shortly.

:D

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:39 am

That looks awesome. The loading screens are a very nice touch. If you're happy to share the artworks I'd love to include the theme and loading screens in ARpiCADE.

For Red Earth / Warzard you could try no nocd version of the game (needs the parent rom but no chd).

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:37 pm

I'll be happy to share when I finish... and man, I have this "tinker" thing going on... I just can't stop doing it...

There was a version between the one posted above and this one ... that lasted a few hours ... it looked like this:

CAPCOMA2.jpg
CAPCOMA2.jpg (82.1 KiB) Viewed 7987 times

It's basically the same as the original, but I framed in the Capcom Anthologies logo in the middle. I thought it looked better, but I really didn't like that entire horizontal "box" that was a leftover from the original machines theme. So I removed it ... and made the marquee quite a bit larger. I also made a number of other tweaks as well... the result thus far (and I am like 99% happy)...

CAPCOMA3.jpg
CAPCOMA3.jpg (68.24 KiB) Viewed 7987 times

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Here are the LAYOUT files & and the LOADING SCREEN files... The loading screen files only replace horizontal layout loading screens and the layout itself is only designed for horizontal mode...

EDIT: Welp, unfortunately my layout zip file is too large for the forum here. You'll still find the loading screens below, but if you want the layout files you'll have to get them from my blog HERE...
Attachments
capcomloading.zip
(69.02 KiB) Downloaded 237 times

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:10 am

Awesome. Looks great, thanks for posting up the files.

incrediblehark
Community Member
Community Member

Post by incrediblehark » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:13 am

I've been considering buying an arpicade setup for this exact set. Want to have an all in one solution for all CPS 1,2,3 in one cabinet. Been on the fence but If I could have an SD loaded with this configuration I would buy ASAP. Is there any image available to easily load the capcom anthology?

gombrurry
Observer
Observer

Capcom Anthology

Post by gombrurry » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:01 am

that thing looks hideous and stupidly unconfortable to play unless you have a desk or table to rest in. Would have preferred a single joystick.

Capcom is really burning out all this compilations they have been releasing lately.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:38 am

Um.... what?