Arpicade V3.83

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Arpicade V3.83

Post by guntherm » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:58 am

Thank you kindly sir.

So what does using WiFi on the 3b+ gain us as users?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:15 am

Not a lot unless you want to access the Pi from another computer on your network. There's a guide to SFTP here (thanks to @wboy): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=468 The average user will get nothing out of a network connection I imagine.

Maybe in the future it will be more useful.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:18 pm

I had trouble moving from a 32GB card with v3.83 to a 128GB card for some reason... but when I installed the new 8GB image... followed the exact procedure to expand the BOOT drive as I did going from the 32 to 128... and it worked..

One thing about going to a 128GB card though... it takes about 50% longer to boot. Now, I can't attribute it 100% to the larger card as it COULD be the newer version is just slower booting... but whatever the case, it takes about 50% longer for it to boot to menu with this 128GB card in it.

I also noticed that I started to get a 'low voltage' signal every once in a while when I went over to the 128GB card. I can say this is the card FOR SURE because it happened before I upgraded (and actually hasn't happened since I have!)...
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:19 pm

I'm considering enabling WiFi simply to stop from having to remove/install the minisd card...over and over and over and over...

;)

Barbe
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Barbe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:09 am

Any performance improvements from pi3 to 3B+? Should I buy one?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:32 am

There is a slight boost in performance from Pi3 to Pi3B+ but it's not a massive leap or anything. If there's something you want to run that seems very close to full speed on Pi3 it may be the difference it needs but I can't actually think of an example off the top of my head. The difference is pretty similar to if you overclock the Pi3.

If you enjoy overclocking and want to get the fastest Pi possible the B+ may be worth the upgrade to you. It has better overclocking potential due to having superior heat management, largely due to the B+ having a nice metal heat spreader on the top of the chip set.

If you're pretty happy with the Pi3 already you may want to hold out for the next iteration of RPi to upgrade. No ETA for that one as they're unable to source much better chips and still hit their price targets at the moment (at least that's how I understand it to be - I'm not privy to any secret RPi info or anything like that).

For anyone curious about the Pi3A+, I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet but it seems to have about the same in game performance as the B+. The lower ram (A+ has half the ram of the other Pi3 variations) may be an issue in some Attract-Mode themes though and I think very large games could also be affected - possibly only in loading times. It does look nice and neat on the RaspberryJAMMA though... Also the A+ only has one USB so if you want more a hub needs to be used.

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by guntherm » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Forgot I had to move all my Roms over.. was like what the heck. Need a transfer script to
Copy al this parts!! Hahaha.

Thanx dee2eR!!!

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:39 am

dee2eR wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:03 am
Dragons lair and Space Ace enhanced use modified romsets with the regular framefiles (I think they basically access cut content like the bridge scene at the start of DL).
http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tec ... ts/sae.asp
http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tec ... /dle21.asp
http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tec ... /dle11.asp

There's a DL2 version as well but it isn't free to download, I haven't tried it.
Which version of DL do we download? It shows 2.

Matt68061
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by Matt68061 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:00 pm

Seems pretty rock solid so far....great work as always!

Matt

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:32 pm

I am trying to run both DL an DL Enhanced... any suggestions on what to do? I already have a working DL copy... I tried making a 2nd copy, naming it lair_enhanced... changing the framefile name to that, etc... but failed miserably.

;)