(Solved!) new to Arpicade new to mame new to rpi

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

(Solved!) new to Arpicade new to mame new to rpi

Post by dtels01 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:07 pm

hi I just installed the arpicade into my once dedicated joust cabinet upon firing her up the screen started rolling angularly horizontally and vertically, after a few adjustments I get a slow roll but not long enough to go through the set up menu with a keyboard, and after pressing a few keys, looks like my screen is now set for cocktail ,my monitor is in great shape ,new caps, I played joust yesterday any suggestions as to how I can make adjustments. thanks
Last edited by dtels01 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: new to Arpicade new to mame new to rpi

Post by dtels01 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:54 pm

Also I bought it with the horizontal front end games am I supposed update anything is that why im having trouble? I can see the menu as the screen scrolls I would have to guess that the resolution is set to high for my monitor but I do not see in the menu where to change that. please help thanks

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Your cabinet should have monitor adjustments for horizontal sync/hold that will fix the rolling picture (or is that what you already tried to adjust?). I can't really speak for software supplied by someone else but the default setup for ARpiCADE is low res so I would imagine it is right. The ARpiCADE version in use shouldn't change the video output, unless the video output has been changed... (sorry that sounds confusing and redundant...).

If you find the menu is a bit flickery you may want to change it to 240p only low res to stop using the interlaced modes in the menu but you shouldn't need to worry about that for now.

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by dtels01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:37 am

Thank you how do i change it to 240? Where on the menu do i find it ?

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by dtels01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:48 am

Also i nothiced this when i was throwing all the packaging away

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by dtels01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:57 am

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:32 am

You can exit the game selection menu to the service menu using either the cabs service button or 'f4' on a keyboard. Plug in and unplug your keyboard when the power is off if you need to use a keyboard. Once you're at the service menu you can just select the 240p mode you want, horizontal or vertical, and the system will reconfigure itself and reboot. Be careful to only select low res modes on low res monitors.

The little 2 pin header and joiner are optional bits to connect the reset header for Pi2 and Pi3. On the newer Pi3B+ the reset header location has moved to make space for a new connection so if you want it to work it has to be done with a flexible wire connecting it (on the B+ only 1 connection is wanted too as the 2nd pin is no longer just a GND on the B+). It can be safely left out, it's purely optional. Also soldering to the header location on the Pi will void it's warranty so leaving it off is safer from that perspective.

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by dtels01 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:00 pm

got it thank you very much as im sure its very time consuming to respond to every inquiry,youve gone above and beyond,well i was doing a little research online and according to Bob Roberts, my joust would have put out a positive hor. and vrt. sync signal where as a newer board are more likely to send a negative sync signal, the monitor does have pins for negative sync as well but unfortunately im not where i can check now ,i will as soon as i can. thank very very very much for getting back to me.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:22 am

Unsure if it is the issue but JAMMA boards use composite sync.

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by dtels01 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:28 am

Plugging into the negative side of the sync as opposed to the positive, solved the issue, thanks you kindly