Lightning bolt after upgrading from pi3 to Pi3b+

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Lightning bolt after upgrading from pi3 to Pi3b+

Post by cool_factor » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:27 am

Power is 5.25v at Jamma edge on Pi3b+ which has copper heat sinks, small fan and is overclocked with hashed out settings that were in config.txt. Only seem to see it flash once in awhile on attract mode running ArcadeSDv3 and 3.83 with a wireless usb keyboard dongle. Never saw lightning bolt on Pi3. Arpicade has the 1A fuse. Any thoughts?
Last edited by cool_factor on Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Lightning bolt after upgrading from pi3 to Pi3b+

Post by guntherm » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:39 am

Kinda confused. Out of the Box, my PI3b+ had 4.8v. I got the lighting bolt all the time. I upped mine to 5.2v and have never seen lighting bolt again. Running ARpiCADE 3.83.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 am

In this case the 1A fuse is causing a current bottleneck. The current draw of the Pi3B+ is a little higher than a Pi3. A 2A or 2.5A fuse would remove the lightning bolt, probably even with the PS turned down a little. Disabling your overclock could also help remove the lightning bolt, assuming you don't have a need for the OC (with the fan and heatsink combo it sounds like you wanted to overclock it so I realise this is a terrible suggestion).

The good news is if you're only seeing the lightning bolt occasionally in the menu it shouldn't be hurting your performance in game much if at all.

If the fan is powered by the Pi it may also help to power it from the power supply directly or from 5v sourced pre-fuse on the RaspberryJAMMA.

I've been installing 2A fuses in RaspberryJAMMAs for a little while now as the power requirements of the newer Pis is going up and the 1A fuse was picked based on the earlier Pis (my first was a RPi1 model B with the 26 pin GPIO). @cool_factor may have an earlier board with the 1A and @guntherm could have a 2A, the silk screen on the PCB will say 1A either way as I only changed the part not the board.

aod
Community Member
Community Member

Post by aod » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:24 am

Hmm, I'm having the same problem. I just bought a new board from hsh. I do not see a fuse anywhere on the board though? Am I just being blind?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:38 am

If you just got a new board it will have a 2A fuse, you shouldn't need to change it out for a Pi3B+.

What is you 5v reading at the JAMMA edge?

imfuraisoth
Community Member
Community Member

Post by imfuraisoth » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:27 am

I'm getting a lightning bolt even when I try to launch the pi by itself connect to a monitor with the given power supply. It only did it when I imaged it with the arpicade image. The pi booted up fine with just retropie image.