Mame 078 button configuration

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

ShaneHero
Community Member
Community Member

Mame 078 button configuration

Post by ShaneHero » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:50 pm

I’m still a bit of a newbie to emulation, so this might be an obvious answer.

Mame 172 is working perfect for me. Mame 078 seems to be having some issues.

There is a black menu that has been randomly appearing on the screen (appearing and vanishing randomly, sometimes when I’m not even pressing any buttons).

I was looking through it and there was the option to change button configurations. However when I did this, it didn’t recognise any of the buttons on my machine if I pressed them. It said options were for retropad or analogue, but nothing seemed to make it recognise the buttons wired into the JAMMA harness.

I’ve inadvertently now removed the start button for Mame 072.

So a few questions;

First, how can I reset Mame 072 to default settings again?

Second, how exactly do I change the button configuration in Mame 072?

Thanks for your help!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Mame 078 button configuration

Post by dee2eR » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:57 pm

That black menu sounds like it's the built in MAME menu. It shoudln't pop up randomly on it's own, not sure what could cause that. Is it possible you've hit a joystick combo for it accidentally? You may have some sort of phantom input causing the issue, not sure offhand why that would be.

Normally you would set your controls through that menu but if you have broken them in a different menu it won't work. The way Retroarch handles arcade controls is really confusing due to the whole system being based around a SNES pad. There are a couple of places, maybe 3 or 4, in the Retroarch menus you could have broken the controls. "Retropad" should be the right setting but not knowing exactly what's happened it's hard to be more specific.

The easiest way to restore the controls to default would be to just re-image your SD card. That way you don't need to know exactly what changed.

ShaneHero
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ShaneHero » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 pm

Thanks. I’ll give that a shot.

I’m going to replace the whole JAMMA harness since it seems to be a bit buggy, and I think there are definitely some phantom inputs happening with it at the moment.

Hopefully with a good harness and starting over from scratch it will run a little better.

fuzzbee
Community Member
Community Member

Post by fuzzbee » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:04 am

Hello everyone, Thanks in advance for any advice you offer.

I'm brand new to ARpiCADE. I've set up my Arpicade in a jamma cabinet and tried to map my buttons but P1B1, P1B2, P1B3 and also the P2 buttons do not seem to register even though I've tested with a meter to confirm there is continuity at the switch and at the JAMMA connector. The P1 Start and P2 start work and so do the joysticks. I only have 3 buttons and a joystick. The video looks great. But I can only fire with the keyboard.

Not sure where I go from here. Any suggestions? PS, I used a USB keyboard to enter the menu.

Cheers

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:54 am

Sounds like it could be a GND issue (if all your inputs aren't grounded to the same spot on the JAMMA edge, otherwise it makes no sense), have you tried the dipswitches on the RaspberryJAMMA at all? Standard JAMMA is 1&2 ON, 3&4 OFF. Depending on your cabs wiring this could be the source of the issue.