New ArPi user here Cocktail question

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

Garamis
Community Member
Community Member

New ArPi user here Cocktail question

Post by Garamis » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:22 pm

Install was very easy, fired up great only needed to adjust voltage to 5.1vdc.

I tested a few games back and forth to the menu then let the kids play...

The very first time they pressed player 2 button in the game menu to select and it changed the orientation to horizontal. Now the game select screen is wrong.

Is this a bug? Or can I put it back without using a keyboard. I bought this because I wanted become a hobbyist, however not this soon! Brought from Highscoresaves about 5 days ago.

Thank you,

Dan

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: New ArPi user here Cocktail question

Post by dee2eR » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:33 am

Player 2 start shoudln't be able to rotate them menu, I think what will have happened is the list has changed, not the orientation necessarily. Each different list is able to be setup differently in Attract-Mode, sounds like 1 or some of your lists are setup horizontally and the rest of your setup is vertical?

The good news is if this has happened pressing p2 start pressing it some more should rectify the situation. Cycle through the lists until it's back how you want.

It's possible to adjust either or both the lists to all be vertical or the buttons so accidentally pressing p2 start won't change lists via the Attract-Mode menus. If your cab has 'test' it should open A-Ms menus and you will be able to do this without a keyboard. If you don't have a test switch or button you will need to plug in a keyboard before powering up and 'tab' will open the menus).

It's a very good idea to make a backup image of the whole SD card if you haven't already too.

Garamis
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Garamis » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:46 pm

Thank you for the response.

The entire game list menu is now horizontal, but the games load vertical. Hopefully that conveys my issue.

I do have a service button and loaded into the service menu (which is horizontal also). Looked under attracted mode but did not change anything until I post this.

Also a side question, playing VS super mario bros with the kids and noticed player 2 controls work but the screen does not flip to the player 2 side. Any suggestions?

Again thanks this community is pretty awesome.

Dan

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:48 am

It does sound like you have just swapped lists accidentally. Perhaps you started on the all games list and have swapped to the arcade list or similar (if you only have arcade games in the list the 2 lists will look about the same). The menu rotation is actually bound to the current theme (or layout as Attract-Mode calls them), some themes can be swapped from hori to vert in their theme specific options, most themes are just one or the other. Each individual list that is set up can have it's own theme.

The service menu is not where you want to make changes to the game menu (yeah, it's a little counterintuitive). Any menu changes made in the service menu will only effect the service menu. From the game selection menu press 'test' cabside or 'tab' on a keyboard (plug it in before booting if you need it) for the Attract-Mode menus.

From memory VS Super Mario should support screen flipping, although it's been a long time since I had a look. It may be worth checking it's set to cocktail mode in the dipswitches settings of MAME (start+joy right OR 'tab' during gameplay to access MAMEs menus). I'll try to take a look later today and see whats what. Are you running it in AdvMAME?

Garamis
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Garamis » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:33 pm

Ok I I found out how the orientation got screwed up. I held player one down to accessed the game list menu. I pushed player two like my children did then it brought me to a Pac-Man screen then I pressed the fire button it brought me to a menu screen with a list of games. I went to the top and highlighted the ‘all games’ and the orientation flipped back.

I hope all that makes sense. If so is a there a way to disable the player two button in accessing that menu?

Also I tried to super Mario‘s and it still not flipping the player two.

I believe its advmame, also dipswitch is set to cocktail.

Dan

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:13 am

While I'm pretty sure I've had Vs Super Mario running in cocktail before just having had a look I cannot figure out how it's supposed to be set to cocktail... I'll see if I can find an old cocktail build and see if I'm just mistaken.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:18 am

Garamis wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:33 pm
is a there a way to disable the player two button in accessing that menu?
sure, just change the command in Attract-Modes menu, controls section.

Garamis
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Garamis » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:44 pm

So disabled it in the menu it still brings me to the pacman screen.

Not a big deal but I am wondering if this is an unintended screen just because its not a well formatted screen the top and bottom are cut off and its the screen of pacman when a power pellet is consumed.

Ultimately im just going to leave it now that I know its there, so no biggie.

I am curious on how to have the player two screen flip to the player 2 side on Vs Super Mario Bros. So thank you very much and I realize there are tons more things ahead of this so thank you for considering it.