Light Gun Support?

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Light Gun Support?

Post by dee2eR » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:47 am

The Windows utility is mainly needed to set the gun up, it can be calibrated within Linux using the built in shortcut combo (you will probably want to change the default combo using the Windows utility). The Windows utility is also used for the firmware update if your gun doesn't come with the latest version (the older one I got was up to date but oddly the 2nd I got more recently wasn't). That said, the built in calibration goes a bit mental in MAME on ARpiCADE and I haven't got to the bottom of it yet (doesn't happen on my desktop Linux box). I have been able to calibrate it well enough to play with persistence, I have some ideas to test but have been distracted working on the 4 player add-on board.

It's pretty easy to get the Aimtrak working with AdvMAME, the other emulators can be a bit tricky.

I'm planning to have basic support for Aimtrak/Wii-mote&Dolphinbar in the next release, even if that's just one or 2 emulators working to start with.

jmac
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jmac » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:10 pm

That's great news on building the support in down the road with a future release! Looking forward to playing with it when it comes out.

jmac
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jmac » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Ok, Aimtrak light gun arrived and i found the following Linux gunconf instructions:
https://github.com/gunpadawan/gunconf
I got to the step of "sudo python setup.py install" and in the middle of the install it errors out referencing that ReleaseNotes.rst is not found and that there is no space left on the device. I have extended my partitions and there is plenty of free space. Has anyone successfully installed the gunconf on their pi and can you provide some tips here?

thanks guys!

jmac
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jmac » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Followup: i was able to get past this issue (and learned more about Linux than i wanted to). The /tmp is configured as 1M in memory. I temporarily adjusted this to 5M to get me past my install issue. I have not attempted to actually get anything running just yet though wanted to update the forum on my progress.

jmac
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jmac » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:43 pm

well that flew like a rock ;)
i believe i got everything installed for gunconf as per the URL above, though when i try and launch gunconf.sh it begins and then soon displays "self.screen = pygame.display.set_mode((0,0),FULLSCREEN)
pygame.error: Invalid width or height"

I think i am in over my head now with this. Has anyone gotten the gunconf utility running on an Arpicade image?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:57 am

I don't think I got the gunconf utility running on Pi. It's been a while but the error you mentioned sounds familiar.

I used Windows to configure the guns, updating the firmware on 1 of them and changing the calibration combo on them both so it wouldn't be used accidentally while playing.

Have you had the Aimtrak working in AdvMAME at all? I think you only need to change device_mouse to raw in /home/pi/.advance/advmame.rc and set the buttons either in the file directly or through the MAME menus. eg:

ptblank/input_map[p1_button1] mouse_button[0,0]
ptblank/input_map[p2_button1] mouse_button[1,0]

Cjordan
Observer
Observer

Post by Cjordan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:02 pm

My wife bought me the aimtrak recoil and I have had nothing but issues trying to configure it. I have a Lenovo desktop running ubuntu and I loaded retropie on it with my roms and emulators..I built this for my full size arcade. Most of the games work flawlessly...however after following every video on YouTube I cannot get this gun to work properly. When I open the software from utility it says device not connected. Then when I made some edits in file manager I see the crosshair move around in duck hunt but it doesn't recognize the trigger being pulled and some games in mane I can pull the trigger but the crosshair doesn't move unless I do it on the keyboard??? I am beyond frustrated with this project so I appreciate any help that anyone can give me
Many thanks in advance
Carlos Jordan