Can never get kick harness to work.

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Can never get kick harness to work.

Post by hulkk03 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally, I had 3 buttons cabinet and I bought Arpicade (Not v3.84) with full kit (including kick harness and wires) last month ago. I enjoy playing games from arpicade. All 3 buttons work great! Never have problem.

I recently add 6 new buttons (Sanwa) both site 1p & 2p for my Sega cabinet blast city. After I added the buttons, I hook up kick harness to arpicade with dip 1&2 off 3&4 on, the buttons does not respond if you press one button. Same goes with pressing both buttons 4B & 5B. It's only register B4 & B5 button when you press all 3 kick buttons. Yes same goes with 2P.

While I mess around with the dip, sometime the 6B (Both 1P & 2P) stay register when not pressing any buttons.

I went try Dip 1&2 off 3&4 on and none work. I end up messing around with dip even more further, I change around with the wire, I even try ground wire off from my blast city cab and with kick harness wire connect directing from arpicade. Nothing work.

Keep in mind, only all 3 buttons (Punch buttons) work. I try every emulators and it still can only use 3 buttons ( 1B, 2B, 3B,). I did try go to mame setting but the buttons change but nothing work.

I also been searching forum for kick harness problem in all over the place just to try to get it work. No luck again.

One of the thread I found where someone who have to remove the USB mini keyboard and got it work but too bad, my doesn't. I wonder, during the time when my cab only have 3 buttons, does it remap every buttons after Insert USB mini wireless keyboard? Should I reformat my SD cards and burn by using my backup image?

I been messing around for several hours and nothing ever work. I'll admit, setting up arpicade for kick harness are not beginner friendly to me.

Does anyone have solution to fix this problem?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Can never get kick harness to work.

Post by dee2eR » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:29 pm

When you wired in the extra buttons how did you connect up the GND wire to each button? The GND is not carried on the RaspberryJAMMA kick harness so they need to be connected to the rest of the GNDs from the JAMMA harness. If you have used existing extra GND connections did you check they were connected to GND?

It sounds like you have the GNDs for buttons 4 and 5 hooked up via B6, causing them to be inactive if b6 isn't held down. Each button should have one signal wire and one GND wire, daisy chaining the GND wires is fine. In you particular case maybe the GND is going to b6 in place of the signal and you have the other 2 buttons GND daisy chained to the other pin of B6? (or maybe caused by dipswitch settings on the RaspberryJAMMA...)

Dipswitch should be 1 & 2 on with 3 and 4 off in your setup. When you had both B6 stuck on it would have been set wrong causing the button 6 inputs to be wired directly to GND in your setup (don't worry no harm should have been done).

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by hulkk03 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:29 am

I gave up and I end up using JNX Atlas Adapter. It's work very well. Thanks for your time, though!

imfuraisoth
Community Member
Community Member

Post by imfuraisoth » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:20 pm

Is there an off the shelf 6 pin connector I can get to connect to the arpicade for the kick harness? The one I bought was too small for it. It seems to be a weird size. I'm seeing all sorts of custom hack solutions for connecting the kick harness for this thing. How come it doesn't just come with a connector? It's very frustrating. I opted for the kick harness option and all I got are the pins. No connectors.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:18 am

I supply the pins and housing for people to DIY their own kick harness. There's a tonne of variations in how someone may want a kick harness wired right down to the size of the spade terminals for the buttons (the 2 common sizes are very different), it seemed sensible to me to let people make it how they needed. Wiring up a kick harness for a new PCB is pretty standard arcade stuff, there is no official kick harness standard so different companies just made their own solutions when more than 3 buttons per player became common (JAMMA standard only covered 3 action buttons per player).

That said I don't think you bought directly from me so I'm not sure what you have. The pins and housings I supply are definitely the right size for the RaspberryJAMMA kick harness. The 6 pin RJ end is a standard Molex part, I assume that's not the wrong size bit...? Not sure what you mean by no connectors (the button spade terminal connectors?).

What does your cab have for a kick harness already? Assuming it used one, there may be an off the shelf solution like the JNX Atlas that makes the whole shebang plug and play for your existing wiring.

imfuraisoth
Community Member
Community Member

Post by imfuraisoth » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:53 am

I have the jamma CPS2 kick harness. I’m just having trouble finding the right size connectors for it to connect to the arpicade. The 6 pins for the kick harness are wider than the connector I got and it’s hard to actually go to a store and try connectors out since no one really carry these things in stores anymore. I just ordered something and it was wrong. I don’t want to keep doing the trial and error thing. I was just wondering if anyone know the exact size connector i need for the arpicade. Maybe the place i ordered from was supposed to give me a connector and just didn’t include it when they shipped to me.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:39 am

These are the parts I use. The links are for E14 Australia but should give you the Molex part numbers for other sellers too.

Pins: https://au.element14.com/molex/08-50-00 ... a%2Fsearch

Housing: https://au.element14.com/molex/22-01-20 ... a%2Fsearch

imfuraisoth
Community Member
Community Member

Post by imfuraisoth » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:45 am

Ah thank you, yeah that’s what I’m looking for.

Moonshine_GFT
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Moonshine_GFT » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:26 am

hulkk03 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:29 am
I gave up and I end up using JNX Atlas Adapter. It's work very well. Thanks for your time, though!
Hey, would you mind taking a few photos of your JNX atlas Adapter wiring set-up?

Moonshine_GFT
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Moonshine_GFT » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:14 pm

Moonshine_GFT wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:26 am
hulkk03 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:29 am
Hey, would you mind taking a few photos of your JNX atlas Adapter wiring set-up?
Actually, I should elaborate a bit. I've got no idea what I'm doing, and should probably post in the newbie area, but I happen to have a JNX Atlas Adapter as well and am in the same boat as you were - having serious trouble trying to get my Blast City & Arpicade to play nice with buttons 4, 5, & 6. The difference is, I have no experience in arcade wiring, and most of what I've read in forums about this issue goes right over my head :oops: