Hoping to play Exvania again!

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

mixxe
Community Member
Community Member

Hoping to play Exvania again!

Post by mixxe » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:33 pm

I've got a TMNT JAMMA cab with an added third button to play Exvania. Loved playing this game with my drinking buds. It's like 4-player Bomberman with Castlevania characters...but the PCB has been dead for a couple years now. Can't find a working board or anyone who can fix the dead one. Will this ARpiCADE-Raspberry PI-Raspberry PI Jamma adapter setup get me back in action? Will I need anything else? Is Exvania one of the available games in the menu? Will it still be 4-player?

Thanks for any answers/help.

Vincent

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Hoping to play Exvania again!

Post by dee2eR » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:06 am

I had never heard of Exvania before!

It works in MAME 0.078 for me (don't have a rom for any other version maybe it works in others too). Loaded in 4 player mode but I didn't have the 4 player adaptor attached, it should be fine for four player mode.

mixxe
Community Member
Community Member

Post by mixxe » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:25 pm

Oh man thanks, I've got butterfly tingles thinking I'm on the right path here!

When I said it's been dead for a couple years, it's actually been like 6-7 years and I've shipped in other dead boards from other countries, dropped boards with arcade repair guys, visited Ford suppliers that make PCBs for help, and had the board on an eBay watchlist that hasn't had a single hit in like 5 years. So, in other words, I really want to get this game working in my cab again!

So being a noob I don't wanna stretch my forum asking luck, dee2eR, but what exactly do I need to purchase and do to get this into my TMNT cab?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Sounds like it's a very rare gameboard, no wonder I've never heard of it.

If you pickup a RaspberryJAMMA and the 4 player adaptor it will plug directly into your TMNT cab without any mods (assuming you haven't already made modifications when you converted it to Exvania).

If you don't already have an RPi you can use I recommend the RPi3B+, it's currently the best Pi for low res use.

The only other thing you need is an SD card with ARpiCADE and the game on it. Current version can be downloaded here: https://arpicade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1062 if you don't already have a working Exvania rom you will also need that. The rom will need to be right for whatever version of MAME you end up using (I only had a rom for MAME 078 but it may be better emulated in a later version of MAME - I couldn't test that and don't know the game to comment on the emulation)

If you want the RaspberryJAMMA to behave like a dedicated game board you could also edit the startup script run.sh to boot directly into the game.