TurboTwist/OptiWiz Not Working

Hardware requests and suggestions to improve your RaspberryJAMMA experience

Moderator: dee2eR

bimber
Community Member
Community Member

TurboTwist/OptiWiz Not Working

Post by bimber » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:29 am

Running version 3.82 and tried plugging in a TurboTwist 2 w/OptiWiz via the USB port on my Arpicade board. Got nothing on all of the games that I tried.
- To see if it was an issue with the MAME version, I tried Arkanoid in every version and still got nothing.
- To check connections, tried the spinner and board out on my desktop computer and it worked fine.
- I have two Arpicades (both v3.82) and got the same result from both.

Guessing I'm overlooking some newbie fool thing but I did read everything I could find on this and still haven't got a clue. It should be plug and play, correct

Any help would be appreciated.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: TurboTwist/OptiWiz Not Working

Post by dee2eR » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:34 am

Not sure offhand what the problem may be. Have you tried the newer versions at all? 3.82 is kinda old now. Does the spinner work in the game select menu at all?

bimber
Community Member
Community Member

Post by bimber » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Spinner doesn't work in game select menu. I'll try another version and get back.

bimber
Community Member
Community Member

Post by bimber » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:30 pm

Arrg... Anywhere else I can dowload 3.9? The website that the forum directed me to cut me off with 2% left and wants $$$ to finish.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:49 pm

I haven't heard of MEGA doing that before. If they're doing that I need to find a new place to upload too.

It's only been up for a few days, I haven't heard of anyone re-uploading this one yet. You could try 3.84, if it's not possible to get 3.9, they're pretty much the same for arcade stuff anyway.

EDIT: any chance you have a nasty browser add-on installed or anything that could cause that behaviour from MEGA? What internet browser are you using? I'm very curious about this happening.

bimber
Community Member
Community Member

Post by bimber » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:18 am

Thanks for the quick replies. Managed to finish the download (had to wait 6 hours). Not trying to complain about it, I understand bandwidth costs $$$...

Tried versions 3.9 and 3.84 with the same result (nothing, even in the selection menu). I'm wondering if I'm missing something about powering the board? Do I need to provide 5v or should that come through the USB? The documentation for the spinner was a little vague... Since I'm getting the same issue on two separate boards, I'd think there's something I didn't do right when setting both of these up (again, it works on my desktop computer)? I followed the ArPiCade and Turbo Twist installation guides (went over the instructions several times). Is there something that could cause the board to not read the USB ports? From what I've read, I shouldn't need to change any configuration files, right?

bimber
Community Member
Community Member

Post by bimber » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:21 am

As for MEGA, I was downloading both 3.9 and 3.84 at the same time. Maybe that was what triggered the issue (although it did allow me to finish the 3.84 download after holding me on 3.9.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:11 am

On the OptiWiz the USB is the only outside connection needed, no other power connections. The only other connections are the ones to the spinner/trackball.

Just double checked it on my own setup, on the 3.9 release. In the game select menu up/down on my trackball works to select game without any config, if your spinner is the left/right axis it may not do anything in the menu. Arkanoid in AdvMAME (MAME106) also 'just worked' although this time it was the left/right axis working. Also tried Arkanoid 2 in MAME 0.172 (I don't have a working Arkanoid 1 rom for 172) and it worked fine too.

Do you have a keyboard plugged in? If so, and it has a mouse function in it, that could be causing issues, may be worth trying without the keyboard. If not, I'm still not sure what is going wrong.

It may be worth trying a different axis on the OptiWiz too, although to my knowledge it uses the same axis for spinner as one of the trackball axis' so if it's not working in either the game or menu maybe that wont help.

bimber
Community Member
Community Member

Post by bimber » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:38 pm

Didn't have a keyboard connected, so that wasn't it. Haven't tried to hook up a trackball yet.

Trying to narrow down any connection issues and:
- A keyboard does work when plugged in

- Optical mouse doesn't work on the screen by moving it in any direction as well as the mouse wheel (not sure if it should but thought I'd try). The mouse sensor does light up underneath, so I know it is receiving current.

- The OptiWiz does work on my desktop computer as stated before (cursor moves left to right), so I know it's connected properly.

I purchased the OptiWiz with the "Master" setup so the spinner connector is hardwired into the board. Can't change any of that. I emailed Groovy Game Gear about the OptiWiz a couple of days ago. Still waiting and hoping for a reply.

bimber
Community Member
Community Member

Post by bimber » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:06 am

Ockham's razor. Bad USB cable and a bad mouse. Got it working.