Sega CD

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Sega CD

Post by hulkk03 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:42 am

Obviously I can easily setup sega CD emulator for windows but not when it come to Arpicade OS (Linux). Anyway to get this thing to work for Arpicade? I try both emulator mega drive and sega genesis. The way I do, I add all of BIO files into rom folder (there no bio folder) and add games that are CUE/BIN. None work. Any idea?

By the way, the sega genesis emulator (Built-in Arpicade) seem to be never work even if with rom without compressed files. Only mega drive emulator work.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Sega CD

Post by dee2eR » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:19 am

Genesis/megadrive should be the same emulator and config, I'll have a look at it - it's probably something simple I've missed due to using the Megadrive folder. Had a quick look at them and didn't see anything wierd, I'll put some roms in and check it out that way.

SEGA CD should also work. The 3 sega cd bios files can go into the SEGA CD roms folder. Is the cue file pointing at the right bin?

Out of curiosity is Master System stuff working for you? It's also using the same emulator so I'm curious...

UPDATE:
just checked it out and SEGA CD (and Genesis) are working fine for me. Could it be a rom issue? Maybe try a rom that you know works in the Megadrive folder in the Genesis folder, they should be the same.

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by hulkk03 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:59 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:19 am
Genesis/megadrive should be the same emulator and config, I'll have a look at it - it's probably something simple I've missed due to using the Megadrive folder. Had a quick look at them and didn't see anything wierd, I'll put some roms in and check it out that way.

SEGA CD should also work. The 3 sega cd bios files can go into the SEGA CD roms folder. Is the cue file pointing at the right bin?

Out of curiosity is Master System stuff working for you? It's also using the same emulator so I'm curious...

UPDATE:
just checked it out and SEGA CD (and Genesis) are working fine for me. Could it be a rom issue? Maybe try a rom that you know works in the Megadrive folder in the Genesis folder, they should be the same.
That's very strange, I grab all the rom folder from Mega drive emulator into Sega Genesis emulator just as you suggest. Finally work! Weird though because after couple of time playing on Sega Genesis emulator, it change to wrong resolution screen and the Warning label scrolling fonts (Yellow fonts) said Missing assets and something about missing files and xbox 630 controllers connections. I did remove USB wireless keyboard and no luck. I decide to reformat SD card and burn my Image file (with games) to avoid taking my time to fix this thing up. Now I am not going to mess with Sega genesis emulator. Not sure how and what this cause it. I'll stick with Mega drive and play some USA Roms.

About sega CD, I added all 3 bio on genesis, megadrive, and mega drive folders and i even add like 6 games on all 3 emulators and after i rescan all of rom, I pick game in mega drive and it was just loading and went back to mega drive cd game list menu. As I said earlier about reformat SD, I decide to try it clean and add Sega CD cue/bin into megadrive CD. Still not work. Hmmm, All the sega cd games work great for Fusion emulator in Windows 7. Ill download more games on other site and see what happen next. I will do this when I get back home again to keep in update. The firmware is 3.84 by the way.

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by hulkk03 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:53 am

I just figure it out. Turned out, the name of game cannot have space gap between words like "Final fight.cue". That's goes for both .cue and .bin files. You must add underscore instead of using spacebar between the words like example: "Final_fight.cue". After rename it, I also have to open .cue file with Notepad++ to edit to make sure it same name as Final_fight.bin for file refer. Also, if the files name as "Hook (Sega CD) (U).bin", rename file to just "hook.bin). I have not try edit this game with underscore though.

This sega cd emulator have very case sensitivity.

Now I can just relax and enjoy play SEGA CD on my arcade cabinet.

ace5
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by ace5 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:31 pm

Hi what are the controls buttons etc for the sega cd or how to remap them thanks

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:31 pm

It should be set up like a 3 button controller using joystick, start + buttons 1,2 and 3. If it isn't, or you just want to change something, you can edit the controls in the Retroarch menus (start+b6 or keyboard 'F1' while a game is running). Retroarch is pretty confusing control wise as it's all named as though you're using a SNES pad, you may need to test the results of individual changes to work out what you need.

Hope that helps, good luck. If it is a system wide setup problem please let me know so I can fix it for the next release.

EDIT:
megadriveButtons.png
megadriveButtons.png (37.96 KiB) Viewed 7923 times

ace5
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by ace5 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks