AMSTRAD CPC 6128

Questions about arcade game emulation support on the ARpiCADE (MAME, DAPHNE, Picodrive, etc...)

Moderator: dee2eR

nolazybits
Community Member
Community Member

AMSTRAD CPC 6128

Post by nolazybits » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:43 pm

Hello everyone,

So I have setup my cabinet a while ago with mame and I am missing some of the old school games I used to play on the Amstrad.
Following this thread https://arpicade.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... =commodore and this blog post he has done https://medium.com/@carlssonsteffo/cons ... 8c9c5fc81a I was able to add the amstrad cpc 6128 core etc and it is working.
Now as those where computers, I remember for instance on the cpc anyhow, owning a joystick was optional. Everything could be done from the keyboard.

Question:
How can I map the start / credit / joystick and 6 buttons to keyboard input for retro arch?
I see in the retroarch config gui I can set the input to amstrad keyboard, which is great, but it maps to the retroarch retropad.
Thanks everyone :)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: AMSTRAD CPC 6128

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:48 am

I'm not entirely sure... also not sure if you're trying to use the JAMMA controls as keyboard or use a keyboard with your cab...

Also, I personally find the Retroarch way of handling controls very confusing.... but:

You should be able to map it all through the Retroarch GUI as you have been trying to do. I don't have any experience with the Amstrad core to know if there are any specific tricks so the following is just general Retroarch on ARpiCADE advice, hopefully it helps.

IF YOU'RE TRYING TO MAP KEYBOARD INPUTS TO JAMMA INPUTS: this is done in 2 parts. There is the main Retroarch controls settings which maps the real physical inputs to the 'Retropad'. There is also the core specific mapping of the 'Retropad' to the emulator core which is done in the quick menu part of the Retroarch menus. The emulator specific mapping in the quick menu part of the menus is probably what you want to map keyboard to joystick in, although it comes down to the specific core so I could be wrong...

IF YOU'RE USING AN ACTUAL KEYBOARD: The keyboard may not be being read by Retroarch due to the hotkeys system. To make the hotkeys work the Retroarch keyboard input is changed from UDEV to Linux Raw, this can make an actual keyboard only partially work, it may help to change it back to UDEV (at the expense of the hotkeys working but you will have a keyboard to press 'esc' to exit games).

nolazybits
Community Member
Community Member

Post by nolazybits » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:05 am

Hey dee2eR

Thanks for the fast reply.
So what I am trying to do is map the jamma input to the keyboard input.
So as you said that would be jamma -> retropad -> keyboard.
I have found in the retroarch gui I can set the input to amstrad keyboard and then map key to retropad input.
Now I am missing the jamma to retropad. I just can't find where and how this maps.
I've seen there was a google doc for the different mapping for the different emulator, but couldn't find the one for retropad.

Thanks a lot again.
Amazing hardware and software!

nolazybits
Community Member
Community Member

Post by nolazybits » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 pm

@dee2eR Any luck to tell me where I can set this up please

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:09 am

Setting the actual physical controls to the Retropad is done in the main Retroarch settings (not the quick menu bit). ie:
Main Menu -> Settings -> Input -> Input User 1 Binds (or user 2 as applicable)