Looking for help/advice for CPS2 jamma

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

Ryan1974
Community Member
Community Member

Looking for help/advice for CPS2 jamma

Post by Ryan1974 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:44 pm

Hi there,

Total noob here. I recently acquired an original Xmen vs street fighter cabinet that I would like put a raspberry pi in and run an emulator. After scouring several forums and boards and reading about “j-PAC’s” and “VGA666” and other various adapters it seems there is no true general consensus if will work using my current setup (CPS2 jamma with a kick harness and original CRT Display). I know it would be simple to swap to an lcd display and replace the controls with something USB compatible but I want to use the existing CRT display and controls in the cabinet to get that true old school “arcade” feel. So will a raspberry pi jamma adapter work with a CPS2 jamma harness and kick adapter? an still be played on the original CRT. I currently have a raspberry pi running retropie that is hooked up to my TV that I play using and PS3 controller. To have the same setup in an arcade cabinet would be awesome! Sorry if any of my terminology is wrong as I said complete noob here!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Looking for help/advice for CPS2 jamma

Post by dee2eR » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:32 pm

A RaspberryJAMMA will do what you want, the only catch is it uses a different kick harness to the CPS2. It's not too hard to adapt a kick harness though, I'd recommend making a quick connect part way down the kick harness wiring so you can easily swap harness ends while still being able to use as many types of kick harness as you need to.

The software used by RaspberryJAMMA is ARpiCADE, it's a bit different to RetroPie (I'd argue ARpiCADE is much better for low res arcade cab use....) but can do all the same sort of stuff.

Don't swap to a LCD if your CRT is working well, the games will never look as nice on an LCD, plus CRTs have no processor lag.

Ryan1974
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Ryan1974 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:58 am

Thanks for the reply! I have good basic PC knowledge so I figured this would be a piece of cake. There are a lot of similarities to the computer world but there are a lot more differences...after spending hours and hours reading I am slowly starting to learn. With the information you provided this sounds like the way I’m going to go. So the question is I live in Canada...best place to buy?

Thanks again!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:15 am

Easiest place for Canada is probably High Score Saves as they're great and in North America too. https://www.highscoresaves.com/arpicade.html

If you don't mind waiting for postage from Australia you're also welcome to order off me directly (I'm the manufacturer) via email dee2er@arpicade.com.