Best place for ROM and Emulators

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

Best place for ROM and Emulators

Post by jeffamay » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:41 pm

I have finally got past the hardware issues and got somewhat up and running. Where is the best place to add ROMs for the machine from?? I am running a full size cabinet and just looking a few more games to add. One in particular is GI Joe world, my sons love that game. I have found the ROM in a few different sites but having a hard time understanding what MAME to put it under or if i will have to install a new MAME. Also, if i can get it on the system, how to i guarantee it shows up on the next system reboot?? Are there any configs to the boot up process to make sure it shows this newly installed game?? Lastly, it is running 3.84, if i plug in a network cable is it possible to move over ROMs via my home network??

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Best place for ROM and Emulators

Post by dee2eR » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:24 am

You can add roms by plugging the SD car dinto your PC and copying some roms into the relevant folder for whatever emulator... (see the USER_GUIDE folder instructions for more detail). If you're on a vanilla release the romscanning will be automatic at startup, if you have the startup scan disabled you can do a romscan from the service menu (press 'service' or 'f4' from the game select menu), after scanning the roms reboot from the same menu.

From memory G.I. Joe will run well in AdvMAME (mame-106 rom folder). I assume that's the game you mean? I've never heard of GI Joe World...

It is possible (but not particularly set up) to use your network to transfer roms, you can even use wireless on Pi versions that have it. Network stuff isn't my specialty so I'm not very useful for help there.

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jeffamay » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:47 pm

gotcha...GI Joe World was on the old system...my two 13 year old boys loved it...the system now has a couple Joe games but not that one....looking around the MAME listed for its ROM isnt there...is it just as easy to load a new emulator as well as copying over and running the ROM scan?? also, maybe i missed this in the guide but once in the game without any keyboard attached how would you get to the service menu and such to run a rom scan??

as for the network, it is on my network but i havent messed around trying to get to it from my MAC OS yet.....but likely simple enough, just takes some playing around on the network hopefully to get into it....but if not like you said moving the SD Card over should be sufficient...just need to figure out the best way to find the ROMs to work on the emulators that are already there i think....

question for the group...anyone got any ROM/Emulator downloads recommendation locations for not just arcade but some other PS1 and other games...particularly interested in wrestling games and PS1 had a ton back in the day i would love to try and get loaded if they are known to work???

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:12 am

If you can point me at some info for G.I.Joe World I'll probably be able to suggest something. When I Googled it all I got was the MAME game G.I.Joe (World), the rest of the world revision of the Konami arcade game...

Adding emulators is a bit involved, assuming you have an emulator working on the Pi you will then need to make a launcher and add it to the menu, depending on the emulator you may be able to use the existing stuff as templates.

PS1 games should run great but I haven't tested any wrestling games specifically.

To get to the ARpiCADE service menu to do a romscan, without a keyboard, press 'service' (assuming your cab has a service button) from the game selection menu (not while a game is running) and the service menu will load. If your cab doesn't have a service button plug in a USB keyboard to the Pi prior to powering up the machine and use 'f4' in place of the service button, you can remove the keyboard again when you're done (or leave it plugged in, it shouldn't have any ill effect) and powered down as it's generally not needed.

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by hulkk03 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:41 pm

jeffamay wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:47 pm
gotcha...GI Joe World was on the old system...my two 13 year old boys loved it...the system now has a couple Joe games but not that one....looking around the MAME listed for its ROM isnt there...is it just as easy to load a new emulator as well as copying over and running the ROM scan?? also, maybe i missed this in the guide but once in the game without any keyboard attached how would you get to the service menu and such to run a rom scan??

as for the network, it is on my network but i havent messed around trying to get to it from my MAC OS yet.....but likely simple enough, just takes some playing around on the network hopefully to get into it....but if not like you said moving the SD Card over should be sufficient...just need to figure out the best way to find the ROMs to work on the emulators that are already there i think....

question for the group...anyone got any ROM/Emulator downloads recommendation locations for not just arcade but some other PS1 and other games...particularly interested in wrestling games and PS1 had a ton back in the day i would love to try and get loaded if they are known to work???
GI Joe game work great for arpicade. I've also try WWF smackdown for ps1 emulator and it's work very well. Same goes with WWF in your house for the PS1.

I've notice you asked for which emulators to download for your Arpicade. I'm guessing, when you bought arpicade, it's did not come with games and emulators???

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jeffamay » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:48 pm

any idea on a good place to get GI Joe world and the ps1 wrestling games you mentioned so i can easily try and get them loaded up on my system. I think for now i am going to stick with the emulators that i have already setup before i dive into adding more....i guess my only question would be how do i make sure the MAME emulators i have now will run the gi joe world?? i did find some roms but the MAME listed on that download doesnt look to be on my SD Card as a MAME emulator

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:35 am

In the USER_GUIDE folder there are some datfiles you can use to audit the roms you have for specific MAME versions using Romcenter or similar rom management software. That's the most practical way of checking the roms, often the software can make small changes to make a rom suit a particular version too, although sometimes there are bigger changes to the rom so automated fixing may or may not work for any particular game.