Remapping buttons in FBA

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

Sk8ersublime
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Remapping buttons in FBA

Post by Sk8ersublime » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:02 pm

I am running ArPicade 3.9 in a vertical cabinet. everything seems to be working with MAME 203 with no issues, except for Donkey Kong 3. So I tried using FBA and the game runs great! however, its not recognizing my controls other than the joystick, so i want to remap them. When I press F1 i get the retroarch menu, and but then nothing moves. I have to end up hitting CRTL+C to kill it, which takes me back to attractmode.

Any ideas how I can remap the controls in FBA?

Sk8ersublime
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Remapping buttons in FBA

Post by Sk8ersublime » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:06 pm

Also, i tried MAME-172 and the sound is funky, also, when using MAME-172, there is no text in my TAB menu. The blue box comes up but its empty. This is a brand new image i just made.

Sk8ersublime
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Sk8ersublime » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:15 pm

and MAME 078 seems to have the same issue as FBA, only the joystick functions, no other buttons, and i cant select anything in the Mame config menu.

Sk8ersublime
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Sk8ersublime » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:50 pm

Looks like i figured it out. I was editing the wrong .cfg file. i enabled udev and now i can use the keyboard in the Quick Menu.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:11 am

Joystick should have worked in Retroarch menus, I wonder why it wasn't.

With the input driver set to UDEV in retroarch you won't be able to use the joystick hotkeys to exit/pause/ etc. But, if your setup is working for you don't let me stop you...

EDIT:
for MAME 078 change the inputs using MAME s menus, not the Retroarch ones. For FBA you can only use the Retroarch menus as it doesn't have its own.

Sk8ersublime
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Sk8ersublime » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:33 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:11 am
Joystick should have worked in Retroarch menus, I wonder why it wasn't.

With the input driver set to UDEV in retroarch you won't be able to use the joystick hotkeys to exit/pause/ etc. But, if your setup is working for you don't let me stop you...

EDIT:
for MAME 078 change the inputs using MAME s menus, not the Retroarch ones. For FBA you can only use the Retroarch menus as it doesn't have its own.
This was just my stupidity on using FBA.

However, do you know why MAME-172 has a blank menu on the in-game in MAME (tab) menu? That seems to be the biggest issue Im having still, and horrible lag when the menu comes up.

Thanks for replying! This is by far the best Arcade image i have used, and with the ArcadeSD theme, its almost perfect :)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun May 03, 2020 2:44 am

The menu rendering bug in 172 is something to do with the UI font size and the original games resolution and maybe the Pi output res... it's not consistent across everything so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is.

The smaller font fix that is implemented works for some games but not everything... also I am pretty sure I've experienced inconsistent behavior of the menu rendering in some games...

The lag with the menu up I don't have any fix for. Thankfully, the menu based performance issues are only when the menu is up.

Sk8ersublime
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Sk8ersublime » Sun May 03, 2020 7:22 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Sk8ersublime
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Sk8ersublime » Sun May 03, 2020 8:08 pm

I was able to just map my settings in .172 using the cfg files in /home/pi/mame172/cfg.

Posting for reference in case someone else has an issue.

gt7766c
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by gt7766c » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:34 am

How do you change/remap FBA controls? I’m using the 4-player setup in my NBA Jam cab Using a separate SD card for 4-player and 2-player games. I am very familiar with Mame mapping and setup the middle two players (2&3) to be first and second player but I’ve never used FBA before and there are some games I want to play. I’ve watched some retropie videos but haven’t attempted the changes yet (for this weekend). Any advice is appreciated.
Kris

Vids:  Ms. Pac-Man, Star Wars, NBA Jam TE, Golden Tee Complete, ARpiCADE  X  2
Pins:  Space Shuttle, Space Mission