Bilinear Filtering in 480p Mode?

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

funknflow
Community Member
Community Member

Bilinear Filtering in 480p Mode?

Post by funknflow » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:38 am

Is it just me or is everything slightly blurry using high res mode? I have a dedicated 640x480 VGA CRT arcade monitor and game images appear much "softer" than say a 60-in-1. Maybe that is inherent in the Pi's output itself? Is this something I need to change in retroarch setting perhaps? If anyone here know what I'm talking about I'd appreciate some help, thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Bilinear Filtering in 480p Mode?

Post by dee2eR » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:36 am

It will be adjustable in the various emulators. For Retroarch stuff it will be in the Retroarch menus, for the non Retroarch MAME versions you will need to adjust their respective config files.

It all comes down to how you want it to look with 480p, the default option is trying to look as much like the way the games looked originally but on a modern monitor. In my opinion 60 in 1 and other pixel doubling/quadrupling options look a bit dodgy compared to these old low res games running on a low res CRT, far too pixely - which they simply don't look like on a low res CRT.

That said, make it how ever you want. The Pi can output quad pixels just like a 60in1 if you want it to.

funknflow
Community Member
Community Member

Post by funknflow » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:06 am

that’s what i was thinking - that being said- how do i adjust these retroarch settings? I tried to make some adjustments within the emulator itself through the usual “tab” settings but it didn’t seem to sharpen it. i have a vga scanline generator that i can use in a pinch but would love to avoid it as well.

funknflow
Community Member
Community Member

Post by funknflow » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:36 am

I definitely can get into each mame's settings, but cannot for the life of me find how to access the overall retroarch settings. Don't see it in the manual. I have few raspberry pi's but of course I'm used to retropie where i set up a usb controller and it's usually select + X

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:40 am

You can access the Retroarch menus using Start+b6 or, on keyboard, F1.

For non Retroarch MAMEs you will need to edit their config files, I don't think the MAME menus will let you adjust video filters etc.

If you do decide to use your scanline generator you will also want to adjust the video to use exactly 2x scaled vertical output or the generated "scanlines" won't line up right.