Voltage Issues (Thunderbolt)

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

gmarsh1996
Community Member
Community Member

Voltage Issues (Thunderbolt)

Post by gmarsh1996 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:56 am

Hello,
I just recently purchased a RaspberryJAMMA from highscoresave.com, in order to upgrade from a 60-in-1. It's giving me the thunderbolt logo and slowing down frequently. The cabinet was custom built by me back in 2012, and uses a SuzoHapp 200W power supply (PC style). Is this my problem; do I need a bigger power supply, possibly? Or do I need to get more power to the RaspberryJAMMA somehow? I'm kind of a newbie when it comes to power issues in arcade cabinets.

Any help would be appreciated.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Voltage Issues (Thunderbolt)

Post by dee2eR » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:31 am

Does the power supply have 5v adjustment? It may just need adjusting to suit the new board, for an RPi 3 or 4 you'll want about 5.1v at the JAMMA edge rather than 5v. If you get to 5.2v and still see the lightning bolt it suggests your power wiring is not up to the task (see next paragraph), you don't want go over 5.2v at the JAMMA edge.

The other thing that could be the issue is your harness, if it only has one wire for 5v it may be part of the issue. Some cheap new harness' have only one (aluminium maybe, definately not copper) wire to carry the 5v and they won't power much more than a 60in1 properly. If this is the case adding some extra wire to your harness for 5v and GND to the power supply should help. If your cab was made with a Happ power supply it may also have a Happ harness which are great quality so this may not apply to your situation...

A PC power supply is more than powerful enough for an RPi, but they usually don't have a 5v adjustment the way arcade supplies do so they're not really ideal for JAMMA cabs. A less powerful JAMMA style supply with 5v adjust will be what you want if the SuzoHapp doesn't work out.

gmarsh1996
Community Member
Community Member

Post by gmarsh1996 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:49 am

It does not, should I replace it with an arcade style power supply with voltage adjustment?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:54 am

Is your power supply one of these? https://na.suzohapp.com/products/power_ ... 80-0002-10
There is a 5v adjust on those, under the outlet near the spot where the wires come out.

Otherwise if you do need to replace it this is a JAMMA style power supply: https://na.suzohapp.com/products/power_ ... 80-0064-00 (doesn't have to be HAPP but they tend to make good products)

gmarsh1996
Community Member
Community Member

Post by gmarsh1996 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:06 pm

Yes it is, and I see the adjustment now. I will tweak that and let you know of the result. Thank you.