SD card structure Windows 7 and missing GB

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

mikehamp78
Community Member
Community Member

SD card structure Windows 7 and missing GB

Post by mikehamp78 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:10 pm

So Somehow the SD card you've sent with the hardware has become corrupt so I'm starting again with a larger card.

When I Flash the 64GB SD with the ARpiCADE 3.84 img file (using Etcher) all seems well, but then Windows 7 (64bit) only shows as 3.47gb.

I have the MAME2003_Reference_Set_MAME0.78_ROMs someone recommend from arcive.org which is 44.5GB.

How do I get those Roms to the SD card in Windows 7 ? Can I get to the other partition from Windows ?

And I assume when I can, they all go in the in the 'romsArcade/mame-078' Folder ?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: SD card structure Windows 7 and missing GB

Post by dee2eR » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:14 pm

This guide by @FrizzleFried is the best guide to resizing the ARPiCADE image that I've seen: http://aha-forums.com/wp/2018/02/02/how ... ory-cards/

Yes, MAME 2003 is MAME 0.78, that's the right folder for roms. I very much doubt you will want to run the whole set though, the more stuff you add that you won't use just makes it harder for you to find the stuff you want to play in the games list. A full MAME set will leave you with multiple entries for many games due to revisions and localised variations.

mikehamp78
Community Member
Community Member

Post by mikehamp78 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:18 am

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there a rom set name I could search that gives a good selection of games.

I’m not after perfect emulation, I just want a good selection of roms that actually work !

Can you add to the FAQ or post here which emulator goes with which rom folder ? I never seem to know where to put the roms, which was my original problem.

I had tons of roms, but most didn’t work and I was never sure which rom folder was on the SD to put them.

That’s why I thought one mame rom set and one folder would be easier ?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 am

Each MAME rom folder is matched to a version of MAME. Some are self explanitory like MAME-172 is the rom folder for MAME 0.172. A few of the MAME versions are not the vanilla releases so also go by other names:
MAME-106 is AdvMAME (AdvMAME has been based on this romset for years now)
MAME-094 is an older version of AdvMAME
MAME-037 is also known as MAME4all, also known as Retroarch MAME 2000 (which is based on MAME 0.037b5)
MAME-078 is the folder for Retroarch MAME 2003
MAME-139 is the folder for Retroarch MAME 2010 (don't use this one if you can avoid it, it's a last resort)

If you have roms but don't know which MAME version they came from it can take some testing to find which MAME version they work in (if any, they could be from a different romset entirely). Some MAME roms seem to work in loads of different MAME revisions, some have been redumped quite often and will need the correct version for a particular MAME release.

There are some datfiles included in the USER_GUIDE folder for use with Romcenter or similar rom management programs that can help with rom sorting/versions/parents/clones etc.

The MAME 078 set you downloaded should be a pretty good place to start from, not the most up to date emulation but a lot of stuff will run at fullspeed in that emulator.

To get the best possible emulation out of an RPi you will end up using multiple MAME versions, that's why so many are included. It hasn't been updated for along time now but this spreadsheet is a guide to what runs good in what emulators: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wMSNB ... -Z-27jIPlA (MAME 078 will run lots of stuff fullspeed but if the games also run fullspeed in a newer emulator they will be listed in the newer MAME version, you should be fine to run a lot of stuff listed for AdvMAME or MAME 172 in MAME 078 but the emulation for some titles may have been improved in the 15+ years since MAME 078 came out).

mikehamp78
Community Member
Community Member

Post by mikehamp78 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:23 am

Very excited. It all boots up and no duplicate roms so far, about 4,700 😬

But have the Joystick shortcuts changed in 3.84 release ?

If I hold 1p down it closes the game back to game menu.

1p start + P1B1 does nothing. No credit 🥺

1p start + down still pauses

1p start + P1B6 Mame menu

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:58 am

They didn't change at 3.84, no idea why the credit shortcut isn't working. P1start + b6 should be the Retroarch menu, P1start + joy right should be MAME menu.

Assuming your cab has a coin mech is it working for credits? Have you tried many games? (it could be one game is odd in that emulator)

I'll through some 078 roms onto a setup and see if I can figure it out.

EDIT:
I can confirm neither the credit shortcut or MAME menu shortcut are working in 078. I must have messed it up when I changed it to the lr-MAME2003plus version.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:37 pm

The fix.
Requires you plug in a USB keyboard before powering up the machine.

First step:
Boot a game in 078, open the menu (p1 start + b6, or f1 on the keyboard). Navigate the menu with joystick, b1 selects, b2 backs out.
Retroarch menu (will open in the quick menu press b2 to get to the root menu)> settings > drivers > input - change to udev using joystick right/left to cycle through the options
back out of the menus again select the quick menu and resume game.
Exit the game with the long hold p1 start shortcut.

Second step:
Relaunch the game. Re-enter the Retroarch menu.
Retroarch menu > settings > input > user 1 binds
scroll to user 1 select button, press b1 to set an input then press '5' on the keyboard (no quotes)
now scroll to user 1 L3 button and set it to 'tab' in the same way
back out to the settings menu and re-enter drivers and change input back to linux raw
back out of the menus again select the quick menu and resume game.
Exit the game with 'esc' on the keyboard (the joystick shortcuts won't be working at this point but will next time it's launched)

It should now be fixed but test it to be sure. Don't unplug the keyboard until you have powered off the cab. To be safe and make sure the changes get written to the SD card properly once you have tested to make sure it works exit the game select menu with 'service' (cab) or 'f4' (keyboard) and select either the reboot or power off option based on if you will keep playing. Back up the SD card or risk doing it all again...

mikehamp78
Community Member
Community Member

Post by mikehamp78 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:22 am

The Fix worked ! Thanks so much again.

The next hurdle is 2 player button doesn’t seem to work in many games. Especially my favorites such as Cyber-lip, Simpson’s and TMNT. It does work in 2 player fighting games such as SF2.....

So the P1 start & B1 gets the credits.

But P2 start, even with credits does nothing.

BTW if there is anywhere I can help “review your product” or provide feedback on the amazing service please let me know.

Cheers

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:21 am

Can't recall Cyberlip off hand (except for I always read it as CyberUp due to the font style...), pretty sure dedicated Simpsons and TMNT don't actually have start buttons though, they just use B1 (I think, maybe it's b2) to start games. Could that be the issue?

Otherwise if that's not it could it be coin settings? If you're trying to get all players to start off the coin shortcut (p1 credit) some games will expect dedicated coin chutes for each player but can be adjusted to share 1 mech. Some games cannot share 1 mech between players but you could set extra credit combos using MAMEs menus. In MAMEs menus goto controls for this game and scroll to credit 2 and set it to both P2 start + P2b1 (press the both at the same time). Alternately, for games like Simpsons you could set just the start buttons to add credits in the MAME menus as the start buttons are not used otherwise by the game.

Some games (not all) will have their original dip switches emulated in the MAME menus and may have single/multiple coin chute options in there.

I don't have a review site to recommend but feel free to tell your friends and leave good reviews anywhere you like. Good word of mouth really helps me keep doing this. Thanks