Best UI and how to remove game?

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

MrNewVegas
Community Member
Community Member

Best UI and how to remove game?

Post by MrNewVegas » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:43 am

Hi!

I just received my setup from HighScoreSaves. Plugged it in and it works great!

My problems are finding games. I picked the NeoGeo UI from HSS. It takes forever to get through the list to find games as well as the images used are stretched and blurry. Is there a text only option with a video of gameplay?

On top of that is there a way to remove some games to speed up the searching process?

Thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Best UI and how to remove game?

Post by dee2eR » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:26 am

I'm not familiar with the Neo-Geo build as far as I know so this may or may not be that helpful.

If you haven't already done so make a backup image of the SD card before going any further, that way if you happen to break something or make a change you can't figure out you have an easy way to restore your SD card.

You can remove the games you don't want by deleting them using your PC, copy the roms to your PC if you may want them later. Make sure when you are finished you eject/safely remove/unmount the SD card before unplugging it. Once you have removed the roms you don't want the roms can be rescanned from the service menu (I assume the start up scan is switched off, this step isn't needed if it is scanning at startup), the service menu can be reached from the game select menu by pressing either 'service' in your cab (if it has the service button) or 'f4' on a keyboard (possibly 'esc' if it's based on an older build). Once the scan is done select reboot and you should be done.

There should be different menu themes that can be used. From the game select menu press 'test' (cab) or 'tab' (keyboard) to access the setup menus for the frontend. The frontend is called Attract-Mode, it's got tonnes of stuff it can do, there's a few themes installed on ARpiCADE by default, I assume you should have some other options installed.

You can also set up the controls in Attract-Mode so pressing right/left (or up/down depending on how the theme is setup) skips to the next page or letter of the gamelist to speed up searching for games. It's set like that by default in ARpiCADE but depending on the theme in use on your custom build it may have been changed.

MrNewVegas
Community Member
Community Member

Post by MrNewVegas » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:58 pm

Awesome thanks for the help!

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jeffamay » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:26 pm

question on this...is there a way to setup on the SD Card in the config file to run a ROM scan at each startup without having to have a keyboard to get into the menu on a cabinet?? and if not, what are the cabinet controls short cuts to get into the menu to be able to run a one time scan possibly??? i have recently put a rom on and updated the run.sh thinking i had it right to do a scan but i am not sure if it is doing the scan as it boots like normal and i dont see this new ROM...so not sure if it is not doing the scan or it is doing the scan and the ROM is just not in the correct MAME...i have it in MAME 0.78 because a little research looked as if MAME2003 and MAME 0.78 should work for the same ROMs.....thanks for any help on this

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:36 pm

You can turn on the rom scan at startup in run.sh, I'm not sure what you tried when you did it but that's the way to do it. There's probably a hash (#) symbol in front of the line you want, removing the hash should make it work. If you are editing files from your PC make sure you're using an editor like Notepad++ -- the built in Windows text editors can cause issues.

MAME2003/MAME 0.078 are the same emulator, at least as far as ARpiCADE goes. It's a pretty old version of MAME though so depending on what game you were trying to add it may not be supported.

You can access the ARpiCADE service menu to run a one of rom scan by pressing 'service' cabside from the rom selection screen.

If the rom scan is running at startup you should see a message saying it's running during startup.

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jeffamay » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:43 am

yeah, i edited out the bash line for the scan but it never did scan....i ended up # it back and just buying a cheap usb keyboard and hooked it up and got it working with that to run a rom scan and it worked...was able to finally get GI Joe World on it....i have some more ROMs i got tonight i am going to try and add...the only major issue i am having now is trying to find a working golden tee game to add to this and get the trackball working on it for golden tee...looks like i have a golden tee on the system currently but the trackball doesn't work on it

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jeffamay » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:16 am

got a new issue....the rom scan from the console with a keyboard seems to work fine importing in any new roms..rather it be SNES or NES or Arcade...still working to find some more PSX roms but i have noticed that now the PSX layout is completely wacky...where as before it would only have one Dead or Alive game listed now i see about 20...and if you look at the file architecture there is about 20 .bin files with Dead or Alive, this was like this before....so not sure what reset to now show all of them as separate games...also noticed for instance the first game did show and Batman Forever....now the game is listed as the file name that is on the sd card for it....which is batmanfr.bin...so this seems to have reset some config that was there before by default....i dont see anything to add/edit/update so assuming it is something system level...i did do a restore from before the adding of the roms but of course if i add a rom back to the Nintendo list and scan roms it goes back to this multiple names and wrong names and such....any help on what i am missing or doing would be appreciated...thanks.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:11 am

The playstation list must have been hand adjusted prior to your scan. To fix it up as before you'll need to edit 2 or 3 files (depending on what lists are in use).

/home/pi/.attract/romlists/playstation.txt

/home/pi/.attract/romlists/Console.txt

/home/pi/.attract/romlists/allGames.txt

From the command line you can use this command to edit the files on the Pi:

nano /home/pi/.attract/romlists/playstation.txt

Alternately if you press 'e' on a keyboard from the game select screen the currently highlighted item can be edited (or removed) from the menu without having to edit files directly.

I hope that helps.