Converting my Tekken 3 Cabinet

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

michaelperk86
Community Member
Community Member

Converting my Tekken 3 Cabinet

Post by michaelperk86 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:45 pm

I'm pretty new to the arcade cabinet world. Trying to determine how to move forward turning my Tekken 3 cabinet to a multicade system. The cabinet was converted to an LCD monitor with 2 6-button controls. It has the standard jamma connection to the PCB and a 2nd extended jamma for the additional buttons. What I need is for someone to tell me if I'm doing this all wrong. I think I would be able to purchase the rasberryjamma with a 6 pin kick harness for the buttons on the extended jamma and plug the primary jamma connector to the rasberryjamma.

Also, the buttons and joysticks have led lights, will the rasberryjamma provide power for those lights?

Thanks everyone

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Converting my Tekken 3 Cabinet

Post by dee2eR » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:58 am

The RaspberryJAMMA should be plug and play as long as the cab is wired JAMMA style. The RaspberryJAMMAs kick harness will not match the one in use by the cab now but you could make an adaptor to use the RJ kick harness without any permanent mods to the cab (maybe a little tricky on a NAMCO style kick harness as they use little edge connectors... one way or another it is definitely do-able though)

If your cab has been converted to LCD high res you can bypass the JAMMA video section and run the system in high res to suit. I can even build the board for you without the JAMMA video section for a slight discount compared to the full board (if you order directly from me).

The lights in the buttons will not be powered by the RaspberryJAMMA. They are probably not powered via whatever board you have in it now. Usually the lights would be wired up to the 12v on the power supply and the actual button signals going to the game board.

michaelperk86
Community Member
Community Member

Post by michaelperk86 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:52 pm

I think I understand. I looked and see where the led lights go straight to the power supply.

For the direct video connection, would I need to cut the connection from the video on the jamma harness?

I looked at the 6 pin kick harness and I believe I can just cut the connections from the current extended jamma and solder then onto a new kick harness.

If that's all good, I would definitely order the board straight from you.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:21 am

You should not need to cut any video wiring. How is it currently wired? Was there a scaler added when the LCD conversion was done? If the current chain is:
Tekken3 JAMMA video -> scaler -> VGA to monitor
I would recommend plugging the monitor directly into the RaspberryJAMMAs DAC bypassing the JAMMA video and scaler entirely.

If you take a photo of your current wiring I'd be happy to confirm exactly what may need to be done.

michaelperk86
Community Member
Community Member

Post by michaelperk86 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:42 am

Here are some pictures. Let me know if you need more.

https://imgur.com/kMx5fDY
http://imgur.com/ESf3TFl
https://imgur.com/KmzyTrh

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:18 am

OK that clears it up. The board in your cab that the VGA cable is plugged into is a scaler. The scaler is used to upscale the games original 240p image to 480p (basically it doubles each line) for use on modern monitors.

Using a RaspberyJAMMA I would recommend bypassing the scaler entirely and just running the system in 480p. This will skip the frame or 2 of lag added by the scaler as well as any visual artifacting introduced by the scaler. The result is a better picture and less lag.

There is no need to cut/modify the JAMMA video wiring. You can simply unplug the VGA cable from the scaler and plug it into the RaspberryJAMMAs DAC directly.

As you don't need it I can build the board without the JAMMA video section populated for AU$10 off the regular price. (if you ever think you may use a low res CRT cab you may as well get the full version)

michaelperk86
Community Member
Community Member

Post by michaelperk86 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:22 pm

Sounds good, I won't ever use a crt in there. Let me know what you need from me.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:16 am

Send me an email at dee2er@arpicade.com and we can sort the order out over email. Or if you prefer just send me a PM here and we can do it via PM.