Wires on JAMMA Harness

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

bowerst2
Community Member
Community Member

Wires on JAMMA Harness

Post by bowerst2 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:09 pm

I’m trying to prep my JAMMA harness while I wait for my ArPiCade to arrive. I’d like to remove wires that I don’t need, to keep things tidy.

My harness has 4 x ground, 4 x +5v, 2 x -5v, 2 x 12v wires. For the ArPiCade do I need to connect all of those to my PSU or will 1 of each suffice? It’s a lot of wires to cram onto the PSU if I have to use all of them.

Also, is the Test Button used in ArPiCade? I know the service button is used to access menus, but wasn’t sure about the Test button.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Wires on JAMMA Harness

Post by dee2eR » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:51 am

I would recommend keeping all of the power wires, the extras are there for current handling capacity and are a sign that you have a good quality harness. You won't actually need the -5v for RPi use but it won't hurt to keep it, if you ever decide to use a dedicated JAMMA board it may be needed (-5v doesn't go to anything on the RaspberryJAMMA board so it won't fry anything if it is/isn't hooked up). The 4x 5v and 4x GNDs can be terminated with crimp on spade/fork terminals to suit the screw down terminals on the JAMMA power supply if they aren't already, with 2 wires going to each spade/fork it should be neater and more manageable than 4x bare wires.

If you have to remove some to make it look nicer (again I wouldn't remove any) definitely keep at least two each of the 5v and GND wires, IMO less than that is inadequate for a JAMMA harness (particularly with dedicated boards) as it can result in you to having to crank your power supply up to compensate for reduced current capacity (which in turn makes it more likely to damage a game board).

I would also keep both test and service, both are setup by default and can be useful for configuration etc. For MAME stuff in game they will act like test and service for the emulated game, outside of MAME they're also set up to access some menus (service for the service menu, test for the Attract-Mode frontend setup menu).

bowerst2
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Wires on JAMMA Harness

Post by bowerst2 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:58 am

Thanks sir! I was able to get rid of all of the unneeded wires and keep the important ones. My harness is ready, just need for the ArPiCade to arrive!