Upgrading from a 1A fuse to a 2.5A

Questions about the RaspberryJAMMA adapter.

Moderator: dee2eR

GamingBro
Community Member
Community Member

Upgrading from a 1A fuse to a 2.5A

Post by GamingBro » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:06 am

I've noticed while playing certain games, such as DigDug, that there seems to be a little input lag occasionally. And I have just recently upgraded to the latest ArPiCade version 3.83 and saw in the config file that there is a new section for overclocking the RPi3. And I was wondering is there a specific type of 2.5A fuse I need to get, or do you have one that you recommend getting from Amazon or Ebay? And, if I get a new fuse, is the fuse I switch out the one right underneath where you put the sd card in the RPi? In the config you also mentioned using a heatsink, I assume you mean on the RPi3, or is there a place to put a heatsink on the RaspberryJAMMA board as well?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions, but I couldn't find very much helpful information about the JAMMA board through Google (although it's possible I just wasn't searching the right thing).

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Upgrading from a 1A fuse to a 2.5A

Post by dee2eR » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:43 am

It could be for DigDug there's a better version of MAME to run it in if you're encountering input lag, which version do you have it in at the moment? It's not really a game I play but it wouldn't hurt to take a look...

The fuse is located just under the SD card slot as you surmised. Any axial leaded through hole mount fuse should work, I don't really have one to recommend outside of the ones I've been using from Farnel/Element14: https://au.element14.com/multicomp/mcpe ... a%2Fsearch (it's a 2A but unless you want to run all the USB devices in your house off the Pi you won't get near 2A draw....). Depending on when you bought your board you may already have one of these 2A fuses as I started using them instead of 1A in the RaspberryJAMMAs earlier this year (the 1A fuses would increase their resistance as current draw neared or sometimes exceeded 1A on the newer Pis causing the voltage to drop at the Pi). If you don't ever see the lightning bolt you won't need to upgrade your fuse, it's only useful if the fuse is becoming a power bottleneck.

There is a spot to add a heatsink on the RaspberryJAMMA (on the audio amp) but it's not really necesary. The only place a heatsink will help with performance is on the RPi CPU/GPU chip stack - even then unless you're overclocking (or putting the Pi in a very small enclosure) you should be fine without one. You see a lot of people online adding a heatsink to the USB chip too but that is completely pointless IMO.

Ask all the RaspberryJAMMA questions you like, there's no where online better than here to do it.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:50 pm

Does the lghtning bolt appear in the upper left hand corner? Asking because on some games I've noticed a quick appearance of white almost gibberish characters that sort of look like they could be a lightning bolt as the game lads I'm not over clocked and if I remember the last time I checked my 5v it was perfect.

Also, here in the states would this fuse work: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Li ... n%252bo%3d

GamingBro
Community Member
Community Member

Post by GamingBro » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:40 pm

I currently have DigDug in Mame 172, but if you think another one might work better, I'm willing to give it a try.

I also just found out a new interesting bug that I was wondering if you had a fix for? It looks like all games that are in the Mame172 folder all do this, but every other emulator seems to be working as far as I'm aware. But the menu screen for editing the game inputs is all blank. https://imgur.com/a/wsDO6J8

Cool_factor:
No, I don't see any flashing or anything that might look like a lightning bolt.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:55 pm

cool_factor wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:50 pm
Does the lghtning bolt appear in the upper left hand corner? Asking because on some games I've noticed a quick appearance of white almost gibberish characters that sort of look like they could be a lightning bolt as the game lads I'm not over clocked and if I remember the last time I checked my 5v it was perfect.

Also, here in the states would this fuse work: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Li ... n%252bo%3d
(on a horizontal monitor) the lightning bolt would appear in the top right hand corner of the screen. The lightning bolt is bright yellow with a black outline so I don't think that's necessarily what you're seeing.

Could the flash of white be a mouse cursor? When SDL starts up a mouse cursor is visible very briefly in the bottom left corner, only for one or two frames between the now loading message and the emulator running the game.

The fuse you've linked from Mouser should work fine for the job if you do need to upgrade it.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:05 pm

This white gibberish characters is on upper left corner of a 25" CRT

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:13 pm

GamingBro wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:40 pm
I currently have DigDug in Mame 172, but if you think another one might work better, I'm willing to give it a try.

I also just found out a new interesting bug that I was wondering if you had a fix for? It looks like all games that are in the Mame172 folder all do this, but every other emulator seems to be working as far as I'm aware. But the menu screen for editing the game inputs is all blank. https://imgur.com/a/wsDO6J8

Cool_factor:
No, I don't see any flashing or anything that might look like a lightning bolt.
Damn, I thought I'd got that menu text issue sorted with the tweaks made recently. MAME172 seems to sometimes pick a font size too small/large for it to render at some resolutions. I'll have a fiddle today, I should be able to post some sort of fix for that text issue.

If 172 is occasionally lagging AdvAMME may be the better choice for Digdug. I'll check that out at the same time but may not be good enough at the game to notice....

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:17 pm

cool_factor wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:05 pm
This white gibberish characters is on upper left corner of a 25" CRT
Sorry, you're right, it is the upper left. I only really notice the flash of mouse cursor on my rotated monitor... it's usually mostly hidden by the bezel on my horizontal.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:11 pm

Dylan,

Have you had a chance to address the mame172 menu text issues yet?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:39 pm

in /boot/launchers/mame172.sh find the vert game hori monitor bit and add uifont uismall.bdf like this:
## horizontal monitor settings
# vertical game on horizontal monitor
elif [ $rot == 90 ] || [ $rot == 270 ]; then
aconfig="-keepaspect -unevenstretch -nosyncrefresh -nowaitvsync -throttle -uifont uismall.bdf"
hopefully that helps.