Fire buttons not working on some vertical games

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

Japan
Community Member
Community Member

Fire buttons not working on some vertical games

Post by Japan » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:58 am

Hi guys,
I have the vertical image running fine in vertical mode, but some games do not fire for me when hitting the buttons. Like Batsugun and Raiden II for example. I can move the joystick and the fighter moves around. Just none of the 4 buttons fire.

On my astro city I only have 4 buttons, 2 player. No kick harness.

What's the method to get the buttons to work on all games?

Thanks so much.

PS. I believe I'm on 4.3 on a pi 4 8gb in vertical mode.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Fire buttons not working on some vertical games

Post by dee2eR » Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:27 am

That may be down to the individual emulator. What emulator are the games with the issue in? I'll check it out.

If they're in a MAME version you can probably fix the issue from MAMEs menus (either 'tab' or start+right while the game is running). If most games are OK just adjust the controls for this game, you don't want to break working stuff accidentally.

Japan
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Japan » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:12 pm

Thanks.

For Batsugun and Raiden II, neither Tab nor Player 1 Start + Right gives me a menu to adjust controls for this game. Is there another way?

Also, how do I determine what emulator this game is using?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:00 am

Those are probably in FBA then... I'd try them both in MAME 0.172.
I will take a look at the FBA controls for you, they have to be edited from the RetroArch menus and it is quite confusing due to the RA input handling... (you can open the RA menus with start+b6 or 'f1')

You can easily tell which emulator a game is setup in from the menu using a keyboard. Pressing 'e' on keyboard will give you a stack of info of whatever game is currently selected in the menu.