How to? I'm a total newb

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

ArcadeRu
Community Member
Community Member

How to? I'm a total newb

Post by ArcadeRu » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:10 pm

So I just purchased the Arpicade 4 player with the 80 game image alone with TMNT theme.

First I don't see the TMNT interface. Is it hidden? Can I change themes? How do I change themes if that's possible.

Secondly, I played this adapter into my working NBA Jam cabinet. When I hooked up the Jamma I decided to play NBA Jam just to compare and noticed the buttons are mapped incorrectly. Why would that be the case? I thought the image I bought would have these quirks worked out and that's the reason I purchased the image.

Third, this thing is set to take quarters and I want it on freeplay. How do I change this to free play?

Also I got into a menu that showed SNES and Sega, and thought...sweeet, bonus games, I clicked on one and didn't load. Why does this list exist and how do I delete it?

How do I add roms?

Finally, is there a way for this system to automatically boot into one game. So lets say all I want to play is Simpsons, can this system just boot into Simpsons when I turn on the arcade and almost seem like it has just a Simpsons PCB in my cabinet?

ArcadeRu
Community Member
Community Member

Re: How to? I'm a total newb

Post by ArcadeRu » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:09 am

Ok, I think I can figure some of these questions out on my own.

But I thought this Arpicade had a feature that I could boot straight to a rom of my choice when I turn on my machine. Anyone?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:59 am

You should be able to boot into any game you like by editing the file /boot/run.sh (if you're on Windows use Notepad++, not the built in Windows editors), there's an example in file. It's also possible to set the frontend to auto the load the last game played at startup if you don't have a particular start up game in mind.

I have no idea re. themes on a non vanilla image, sorry. Prob best to check with the seller, if it's supposed to have a particular [*whatever*] and doesn't. Generally you can change themes, to add remove or edit themes they're in /boot/attract-layouts. To actually use themes (layouts) they need to be set from the Attract-Mode menus, each game list can have it's own unique theme if you like or you can use the same theme for all etc. There's not really a much more customiseable menu layout themeing system available to my knowledge. You can make the Attract-Mode frontend into pretty much whatever you like...

For button mapping all four player cabs are a bit non standard so it is expected to have some changes to make. The four player settings default to player order 3,1,2,4 to put two player games on the middle most controls (because thousands of 2 player games and only hundreds of 4 player). You didn't specify what the mapping issue was so I'm not exactly sure what to suggest here... but it's probably fixable from the emulators.

Freeplay will need to be set from the emultors and varies from game to game... some originally used a dipswitch, some service menus etc and MAME (and other emulators) generally don't have a way to set them all automatically. For MAMEs dipswitch options open MAMEs menu while the game is running (start+right or 'tab') and select dipswitches.

Anything in the menus you want to delete: boot with a keyboard in, highlight what you want gone, press 'e', select delete, reboot the system from the ARpiCADE service menu (f4). Alternately if there are old romslists included in your build that don't actually have the roms there just scanning the roms from the service menu should sort it out. Further changes to game lists, menus etc. can be achieved in Attract-Modes (the frontend) menus.

To add roms just copy roms to the rom directories in /boot/romsArcade/[emulator] and /boot/romsConsoles/[emulator] and rescan the roms from the service menu (I assume the rom scanning at startup is disabled on your build).

Also, I don't know what version of ARpiCADE you have but there may be an instructions file in /boot/USER_GUIDE/ that could help.

ArcadeRu
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ArcadeRu » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:11 am

Thanks so much for the information. I'm a complete newb to Arpicade and Raspberry Pi in general, so you helped me out a lot. I'll have to explore the files you mentioned and do some edits.

Thanks so much for taking the time and explaining. I really appreciate it.