Does the scraper not pull snaps for consoles?

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

NoJive
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Does the scraper not pull snaps for consoles?

Post by NoJive » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:24 pm

I added the 2600 rom set, and while they play great, there is not artwork snaps showing up. I tried running the scraper, but it doesn’t seem to work. I also added some box art to the 2600 snaps folder, but that didn’t work either. Am I missing something?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Does the scraper not pull snaps for consoles?

Post by dee2eR » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:00 pm

What steps did you take to do all this? Adding artwork to the snaps folder should certainly work, depending on what theme you're using. Does the artwork have the same filenames as the roms?

I'm not sure if Attract-Modes built in scraper can write to the /boot partition as it is not a user owned directory. You may be able to point the scraper at a directory in /home or something similar to work around this limitation.

NoJive
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by NoJive » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:00 pm

Well, that may be my problem. I found some box art artwork online, and I do not think the filenames match my ROM filenames.

NoJive
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by NoJive » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:33 am

Ok, so here is what my box art folder looks like, and the filenames that I have. This may or may not be correct.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (122.06 KiB) Viewed 6229 times

NoJive
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by NoJive » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:45 am

And when I run the Attract Mode scraper, I get this message:

"Error getting platform list from thegamesdb.net Code 302"

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:48 am

My guess is you'll need to rename the images to match your roms. eg. If the rom file is Adventure_(USA).a26 then all the images for that game should be called Adventure_(USA).png

It may be running your images through a batch renaming program and replacing all spaces with underscores is all you need to do, there may be other things to change too but that's probably the biggie.

I'd have to look into the problem with Attract-Modes scraper, no idea what that code means off the top of my head.

NoJive
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by NoJive » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:53 am

Ok, I'll look into the snaps further.

Far as the scraper, I initially thought my Pi might not be seeing the internet, but I can ping Google.com, so it should be online.

NoJive
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by NoJive » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:06 pm

One thing I did notice, is that I am on an older Arpicade release, so I downloaded the latest version, and am going to redo everything from scratch. With the scraper issues, and the rom issues I posted about in the other thread, I'm thinking this is the best approach.

NoJive
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by NoJive » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:33 pm

I updated to 3.83, and still have more or less, the same problem, although, in 3.83, the scraper doesn't seem to run at all, giving a library error or something. Is there an alternate way to run a scraper, or do I need to just rename the png images to match the ROMs? It seems like when I setup my portable Retropie machine, I was able to use whatever scraper was in that, without issue.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:00 pm

There's no working image scraper at the moment. The images just need to have the same names as the roms, so if you have underscores instead of spaces in the rom names you need them in the image names too. I hope that helps.