F8

Installing ARpiCADE for the first time? Having issues? Check here first for solutions and tips on installing.

Moderator: dee2eR

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

F8

Post by dtels01 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:39 pm

When i go to F8 in defender, stargate and robotron a blank box comes up with static sound any way to tweak these??? As a side note, Smash tv f8 works and those joystick adjustments carried over to total carnage, though total carnage brought up a box with ancient sumarian text or something. Thanks

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: F8

Post by dee2eR » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Not sure exactly what you're saying here.

F8 is to do with frameskip isn't it? All those early Williams games should run fine without any frameskip needed.

Which version of MAME are you using? The blank box part could be to do with font size, which I've tried to tweak a little bit for the next release...

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by dtels01 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:17 am

Forgive me its that Im mame illiterate, i bought it from high score save preloaded, so idk frameskip, f8 got me into a game menu that allowed me to change the joystick settings and player 2 function on smash tv, though i could barely make out the font/lettering. Also in that same f8 game option menu box there was the option to save game as a favorite, which i would somehow like to have a favorites list but dont know how. Ive tried many times to search the forum but ive never been able to search a key word that wasnt to vague to give results,i do appreciate you going out of your way to help.thanks

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by dtels01 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:47 pm

bump

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:13 pm

Sorry not sure about the F8 menu. I'll have a fiddle with the software to day and see if I can figure it out. I have a feeling it will be a menu within either Attract-Mode or maybe Retroarch. I will see what I can and get back to you.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:06 am

No I'm really confused. Loaded up Smash TV and F8 doesn't do anything. With the game selected in Attract-Mode F8 doesn't do anything...

Mind checking which rom folder the smashtv.zip rom is in on the build you have for me? I can't replicate the issue at the moment.

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by dtels01 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:44 am

I can only access f8 with my bluetooth keyboard, after game is started ill take pictures of it today and try to post.

dtels01
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by dtels01 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:48 am

Oh btw f8 does the same as pressing player one button and right movement on joystick at the same time, both prompt the same menu, i learned this from the instructions on highscoresaves.com website.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:21 am

Interesting, that might mean your keyboard is sending 'tab' when you press F8. The default keyboard setup may not suit it well, if so Linux is configurable to suit different keyboard types so that won't be a permanent problem. If this is the case this may help: https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry-pi ... ard-layout

I now know which menu you mean. That is the standard MAME menu, which is 'tab' by default. Running ARpiCADE if you want to set up a favourites list it must be done from the game selection menu (it's a frontend program called Attract-Mode) as MAME doesn't control the menu at all. The Attract-Mode forum has a guide to favourites (here: http://forum.attractmode.org/index.php?topic=229.0) that will hopefully be useful as I don't use the feature so am not particularly familar with it. Or maybe someone else that posts here will be able to help...

The text bug is due to the default text not suiting the resolution well. I've done some tweaks already to try and help this for the next release, I'll try to remember to test with these games too before release.